Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firstgear
    I agree that there is an issue with qualifying. When some cars don't even put in a lap in Q3 because they are too concerned about tyre wear, something needs to be done.
    I have a different solution than yours though. With F1 being a meritocracy, I propose the following: Reward the drivers with an extra set of tyres (that they can use for qualifying or the race) for advancing to the next round of qualifying. They'll be doing more laps, so they should get more rubber.

Example1: In Q1, Hamilton sets his fastest lap on the harder tyre and advances to Q2, so he is rewarded with an extra set of the harder tyre. In Q2 he sets his fastest lap on the softer tyre and advances to Q3, so he is also rewarded with an extra set of the softs.

Example2: In Q1, Massa sets his fastest lap on the harder tyre and advances to Q2, so he is rewarded with an extra set of the harder tyre. In Q2 he sets his fastest lap on the softer tyre but fails to advance to Q3, so he is not rewarded with an extra set of softs.

Am I a genius, or an idiot? Poll please :.
    My way only means 40 extra tyres per race. Yours means a lot more though. It seems kind of wasteful.

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    40 extra tyres. That's one set each, for 10 cars.
    So you're only giving the cars that make it to Q3 an additional set? Ok, I missed that somewhere.
    Sounds good to me then. The way I read your post initially, I thought you were just giving everyone an additional set.