Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts

2012 IRC: Rallies, teams, drivers

Time to start this thread I think, even if it is only rumours and speculation at the moment.

I can imagine that Juho will be driving some kind of WRC programme in the VW Fabia next year whilst testing the Polo WRC ahead of a full works seat for 2013.

Skoda I guess will continue with Kopecky & Loix and Skoda UK with Mikkelssen.

Hopefully Peugeot Belgium will continue too and I think the big battle next year could be between Neuville and Mikkelsen with the others picking up the scraps.

We will see if Peugeot UK continue at all and whether with Wilks or not. Wilks I don't think is quite on the level of Meeke but he is better than he has been able to show this year.

Bouffier has been a little disappointing this year after Monte but maybe he will continue next year and do a little better now that he has more experience of the rallies?

It would be nice to see Gardemeister continue next year but I am sure he is going to change part of his "package" whether that is car or tyres, otherwise it will be another year of finish-line whinging from him.

Proton I do hope will continue and get their reliability sorted. They have definitely made some progress with the speed of the car this year. I hope to see Basso in one of the seats and maybe PG and Atkinson to appear again too if they don't find something else to do?

After a couple of good performances this year I hope to see Breen again next year with a bigger programme too, preferably in a Ford as we don't see enough of them.

Ok, some dreaming above but I don't think there is much that is too unrealistic?

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Would Peugeot UK try and develop Breen or some other young talent? Or are they more likely to drop out of the IRC?

Juho would probably do more SWRC rounds so he can get used to those routes

Liked 11,151 Times in 4,427 Posts
    I think Mikkelsen is closer to VW deal than Hänninen now. Anyway I think both Juho and Jan have contract with Škoda only for this season. I think that there has been no new one signed yet and afaik even Škoda hasn't yet decided what they will run next year (but they will continue in rallying).
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS
    It would be nice to see Gardemeister continue next year but I am sure he is going to change part of his "package" whether that is car or tyres, otherwise it will be another year of finish-line whinging from him.
    At the last stage end in Scotland Garde was asked about his plans for 2012 and he said that the plan is at the moment to continue in IRC. But with what, we'll see
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    I wouldn't rate Bouffier on Monte Carlo. It was due to brilliant strategy (or dumb luck; your choice) and to my mind the real winner was Francios Delecouer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Skoda's some drivers (minus Kopecky and Loix) turn up in VWs for the odd WRC round. Breen was great in Scotland but what's his work on tarmac like? I haven't followed the Irish Tarmac Series for a few years.

Liked 11,151 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Breen is good on tarmac. He did some WRC events in small cars and also this years IRC Barum rally (7th overall of nearly 30 S2000). It was his first start here without any testing and I was really impressed by his driving.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would like to see Mikkelsen and Neuville in the official skoda team next year. Thats my dream team for irc 2012.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donalduck
    I would like to see Mikkelsen and Neuville in the official skoda team next year. Thats my dream team for irc 2012.
    Neuville at Skoda?? I'd have thought Citroen would be keeping tabs on him - he needs more gravel experience. He was quick, but made mistakes. I think he has a bright future.
    It will be interesting what Peugeot UK do, would feel sorry for Wilks if they dropped him - but he's had a nightmare of a year. I really hope Proton can sort out their reliability.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

MJW
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Neuville at Skoda?? I'd have thought Citroen would be keeping tabs on him - he needs more gravel experience. He was quick, but made mistakes. I think he has a bright future.
    It will be interesting what Peugeot UK do, would feel sorry for Wilks if they dropped him - but he's had a nightmare of a year. I really hope Proton can sort out their reliability.
    I cant see Neuville with Skoda - he allegedly turned down a VW run Skoda for WRC evaluation and a chance to test a WRC Fiesta for Ford Motorsport, because he didnt want to show disloyalty to PSA Group, that to me he is firmly tied by some clause in contract to PSA, or is very confident of stepping up to a Citroen WRC seat eventually!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I really can't see mikkelsen/neuville in skoda together either. But as i wrote, Thats my dream team.. Neuville really impressed me this weekend, good pace despite his lack of experience on gravel.