Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz
    First, I didn't mean to discuss all evils of this world in one thread. Second, redirecting critique from the initial topic of debate to something else is a trick often used to dilute the debate and render it meaningless. Bringing something else into the debate only makes sense if it is something reasonably comparable to the major object of the debate. If we get to discuss government welfare vs private retirement packages, or government owned companies vs private companies, putting the government and the private sector together is perfectly justified. So far, though, I have only been thinking about government as a phenomenon of human society in general.
    Sorry Rudy but you're artificially choosing what is acceptable to discuss and what is not.

If you are going to discuss the merits of government then it is only natural, even essential to discuss alternative systems. This could be the comparison of government with the lack of government (ie anarchy) or public vs private sector.

Ultimately though the government is not inherently evil or good. It is merely a tool for those who hold power and its effects are merely a reflection of the intention of those people. A car is not inherently good or evil either in much the same way.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Is government a chicken?
    I could really use a fish right now

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    All governments are chickens, but some are more chicken than others...
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eki
    Is government a chicken?
    And are corporations the egg?

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    Sorry Rudy but you're artificially choosing what is acceptable to discuss and what is not.
    And artifically choosing to describe government as 'evil' and saying only of the private sector that it 'has its downsides'.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    First, the term 'evil' is too strong (in most instances of its use, not just this). Second, if government is 'evil', so too are large tracts of the private sector.
    "government" includes the administration and policy direction of power and wealth; the private sector very much engages in this.

If Rudy chooses to describe "government" as "evil" then, is this a reflection on how he sees human nature generally?
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Governments aren't evil, people are. Sometimes people who form a government are especially evil.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eki
    Governments aren't evil, people are. Sometimes people who form a government are especially evil.
    I'm not even in favour of the use of the word 'evil' to describe a person in most instances. The idea of an individual being either 'good' or 'evil' is very simplistic.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I'm not even in favour of the use of the word 'evil' to describe a person in most instances. The idea of an individual being either 'good' or 'evil' is very simplistic.
    Well, I was being simplistic, like those who say "guns don't kill people, people do".

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    So was Ian Brady or Fred West evil or just misunderstood?

Right wing government in democracies are less controlling, in the UK we are in the process of being freed after 13 years of left wing interfering / meddling. Justifying their own existence. Thank god.