Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    TOCA is run as a business and the more bums they get to the circuits, the more money that they get. I think the way in which the BTCC has been marketed in recent years plays a significant role in the calibre of the trackside fans.

I am a staunch supporter of the BTCC and would like to call myself a purist. But even from my point of view the series has admittedly lost this edge, no matter what any media officer or team boss will tel lyou about it being the top series in the land.

Since the loss of manufacturer interest in the series, and the reducing costs and technical freedom, the championship seems to have had to search for a different market. I believe that the type of fan you see more often now is there for a reason - because they've been targeted and attracted to this close, short-attention span, bumper-to-bumper action.

A day at the races now is about 25 minute bursts of entertainment.

It has led me to have an increased interest in the World Championship in recent years - which for obvious reasons has no intention of collecting this loyal, dumb following that the BTCC seems to have.

I feel your frustrations, AF.

TOCA know what they are doing.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    (Incidentally, I was intrigued to hear Motor Sport's Nigel Roebuck, a purist enthusiast if ever I could name one, praising NASCAR recently on the grounds that the arguments between drivers were 'tremendously entertaining' and to be welcomed as an antidote to the boringly corporate culture that pervades much motorsport these days. No doubt he — no touring car enthusiast, it must be said — would be horrified at the same happening in a British racing series, on the grounds that it may be acceptable amongst Americans, but not us...)
    NASCAR is extremely competitive these days, the media attention is so much greater, the pressure gets cranked higher and yet even when personalities come to the fore NASCAR is still regarded was very corporate these days.

Unfortunately in BTCC the rivalry with Plato & Neal feels at times, how can I put this, manufactured?

For what it's worth, since Donington earlier this year I think the driving standards have improved markedly. At recent rounds the racing has been much cleaner, with the odd unnecessary incident but no more than was ever the case during the Super Touring heyday.
    Donnington meeting was blown out of proportion due to Plato's shunt and Saint Plato's sermon.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Unfortunately in BTCC the rivalry with Plato & Neal feels at times, how can I put this, manufactured?
    I agree with this...

Donnington meeting was blown out of proportion due to Plato's shunt and Saint Plato's sermon.
    ...but not with this. There was the incident between Smith and Foster that saw Foster skating across the Old Hairpin gravel at high speed, the repeated first lap shunts, and then the coming-together between Neate and Gilham at the end of race three, to name but a few. I certainly found the whole thing rather concerning, even leaving Plato's roll aside.

...but not with this. There was the incident between Smith and Foster that saw Foster skating across the Old Hairpin gravel at high speed, the repeated first lap shunts, and then the coming-together between Neate and Gilham at the end of race three, to name but a few. I certainly found the whole thing rather concerning, even leaving Plato's roll aside.
    Had to watch it again to remind myself.

2011 BTCC at Donington, Nick Foster's big off. - YouTube

Nothing wrong IMHO. From spectating you can make out the camber changes of Craner Curves. From doing a track day its much, much harder than it looks - easy to go off if you get it wrong.

Just before the contact, Foster was on the absolute limit on the outside of the Craners Curves and there's slight wriggle. All it takes is a slight nudge and it looks worse than it looks.

Had to watch it again to remind myself.

2011 BTCC at Donington, Nick Foster's big off. - YouTube

Nothing wrong IMHO. From spectating you can make out the camber changes of Craner Curves. From doing a track day its much, much harder than it looks - easy to go off if you get it wrong.

Just before the contact, Foster was on the absolute limit on the outside of the Craners Curves and there's slight wriggle. All it takes is a slight nudge and it looks worse than it looks.
    Of course. But the cumulative effect in my mind was of an awful lot of incidents — far too many. The same went for one of the Mondello races in 2005, when, likewise, I just thought that it had all got a bit out of hand.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just like the Plato - Muller rivalry. The motorsport press were forever hyping it up, when really the two guys had a healthy respect for eachother deep down and both admitted as such. But then those sort of stories don't sell magazines do they.
    You lot still here?!

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    Just like the Plato - Muller rivalry. The motorsport press were forever hyping it up, when really the two guys had a healthy respect for eachother deep down and both admitted as such. But then those sort of stories don't sell magazines do they.
    I must confess that I don't see how that did anything other than work in everybody's favour. And to blame the press doesn't quite tell the full story, does it? After all, am I not right in thinking that Muller wouldn't help Plato in his 2007 BTCC title bid, hence SEAT's entry of Tom Coronel for the final meeting?

Of course. But the cumulative effect in my mind was of an awful lot of incidents — far too many. The same went for one of the Mondello races in 2005, when, likewise, I just thought that it had all got a bit out of hand.
    Plato's rant certainly had an effect, just like his spamming/trolling on various motorsport forums.

The problem with Plato is that he has a sizeable ego, thinks he's the face and the Alex Ferguson of BTCC.

There's always going to be meetings that will to live up to the Premier League Banger Racing stereotype.

Plato's rant certainly had an effect, just like his spamming/trolling on various motorsport forums.
    Not on me it didn't.