Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Why are BTCC fans so dumb?

Now, before I start, this isn't aimed at many people on here, mostly the morons who seem to reside at the official forums or on the series facebook page.

I might be wrong here, but the BTCC seems to have the dumbest general fans of any of the major series that I follow.

I don't know why? Is it the way its portrayed in the media and press? Is the BTCC perhaps now attracting the wrong crowd?

I have noted a rise in the cheering and celebrating of on track crashes in the last couple of years, particularly when they involve certain drivers.
    2nd place in the big quizz challenge!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I strongly disagree with you in most points. For starters, if a series is to have a very large following, you're bound to get a lot of people who you may consider to be 'Dumb'
    I've been going to BTCC events for ten years now, and cheering at certain drivers' incidents has never been a rare occurance. It happens in any sport with strong personalities and adoring fans. There is literally nothing new about this.
    You want to see dumb? Go look at any topic on twitter, be it #btcc, #bbcf1 or any other sport. You get all sorts on there, welcome to the internet: everyone's welcome.
    Apologies for grammar and spelling I'm writing this on my phone because I couldn't not reply to this.
    BTCCCrazy.co.uk

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I'm not saying it doesn't happen in other sports, or for that matter in the BTCC in the past. Just I have noticed what seems to be an increase in this in recent years, and in particular it more frequently on BTCC related things than elsewhere. I certainly don't remember so much of the cheering of (potentially) serious accidents 10 years ago.

I'm not talking about the ironic cheering you get when John George or Chris James have harmless spins into the gravel or whatever, it tends to be for the more serious accidents,
    2nd place in the big quizz challenge!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Could be something to do with the fact that the BTCC has been sold for many years on the crashes and questionable overtakes (i.e nudges), so that's what many fans come to see?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    if im honest ill agree. more so for this year and its all triggered to one person in particular.

To me a fan cheers when a big crash happens is a sign of them not going to watch the races for the entertainment but for the hope for a massive crash. that to me isn't a real fan.

I was at Donny across from were Plato had his big roll and the amount of people that cheered really made me angry to the point were i yelled out "well we know who are not true fans of the BTCC" i just sickened me to think they were enjoying seeing such a crash and after the crash there was a single "o my god i hope hes ok" it was more like "hahahahaha what a loooser"
    Rickard Rydell 2011 STCC CHAMPION!!! :D

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I've just seen the ad for the silverstone round and it's full of crashes. No wonder the spectators expect that

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yeah same here, so we can blame the BTCC promoters for the unfan like behavior then
    Rickard Rydell 2011 STCC CHAMPION!!! :D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Last time I went to Rockingham (and I'll never go back there), it felt like a cross between NASCAR and a football match in that main stand. Not quite on the same par as the York City fans at Silverstone in 2002 though, all pissed up on John B&Q's free lager, shouting obscenities at their rivals..........

Don't agree with cheering when a bad crash happens, but an ironic cheer when John George or Chris James finds the gravel is ok. It's also fun to heckle things you don't think are right, like team orders.
    You lot still here?!

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    Last time I went to Rockingham (and I'll never go back there), it felt like a cross between NASCAR and a football match in that main stand.
    I can understand why some think the general parallels with NASCAR are there now in the BTCC, in that it could be seen as a championship that puts entertainment first and purity second, but I must confess to not knowing quite what to make of it all. Jonathan Palmer obviously has a vested interest given his circuit ownerships, but nonetheless I think his opinions are worth listening to, and in an interview a few years ago he said he wanted there to be more personalities built up amongst the BTCC drivers, just as he said there used to be in the old days. Well, something like that has clearly happened, yet it (perhaps rightly) attracts criticism for somehow seeming false and all too predictable. My view has always been that I watch F1 to see pure racing and touring cars as light relief. The turbo/non-turbo arguments this year, all caused in the first instance by TOCA, have tried my patience but not exhausted it, on the grounds that I have never viewed the BTCC as offering anything other than entertainment, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

(Incidentally, I was intrigued to hear Motor Sport's Nigel Roebuck, a purist enthusiast if ever I could name one, praising NASCAR recently on the grounds that the arguments between drivers were 'tremendously entertaining' and to be welcomed as an antidote to the boringly corporate culture that pervades much motorsport these days. No doubt he — no touring car enthusiast, it must be said — would be horrified at the same happening in a British racing series, on the grounds that it may be acceptable amongst Americans, but not us...)

And what do we put this year's increased crowd figures at BTCC meetings down to? It can't all be people wanting to see accidents, something I deplore. As for the use of crash footage in the championship's advertising, I too am uncomfortable with it, but even in the early 1980s the BBC used a BTCC shunt in the opening montage on Grandstand! For what it's worth, since Donington earlier this year I think the driving standards have improved markedly. At recent rounds the racing has been much cleaner, with the odd unnecessary incident but no more than was ever the case during the Super Touring heyday.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just had a look at the official forum and see what you mean although there are some people on there talking sense.

On the point of Rockingham I like the main grandstand there but then I'm a footie fan so it reminds me of that. I loved the Owy fan club flag up there the other week. I have to say at Rockingham if somebody got hit people just made a sort of gasping noise I was on top of the garages so that's when we knew something had happened when you could hear this noise from the grandstand but there was only really racing incidents.

Even my Dad who's in his early 80's said after the 2nd race today there's not so much hitting one another as there used to be...