Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's a sport anything can happen I don't see how it can be stage managed to set it up we've been in this sort of situation before. A big crowd, bigger TV audience if people really didn't like it they would vote with their feet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    To that I'd make two points. First, it's not as if all the non-turbo cars have suddenly jumped ahead of the turbos in terms of performance. Second, watching the on-car footage from O'Neill's Chevy, it was clear that the turbo Fords ahead of him were still going away on the straights. I don't like all the arsing-about with the technical regs either, but it's a rod TOCA made for its own back, nothing more.
    I'm just a bit cynical in my old age, Ben. TOCA will be pleased about matters anyway, a three-way title fight at Silverstone. Don't think I'll bother recording it to be honest, I think the arguments this season have finally sapped what little enthusiasm I had left.
    You lot still here?!

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    I'm just a bit cynical in my old age, Ben. TOCA will be pleased about matters anyway, a three-way title fight at Silverstone. Don't think I'll bother recording it to be honest, I think the arguments this season have finally sapped what little enthusiasm I had left.
    I know what you mean. But I think there will be far better times ahead for the championship.

Oh, and let's not forget that the BTCC has long been prone to silliness regarding technical regulations. Look at 1994 — Alfa's wings and spoilers were perfectly legal, yet TOCA found itself effectively forced into trying to take action against them, leading to Alfa briefly going home until a resolution could be found. Then there were the weight penalties against BMW and Audi. And still I'd rather have any of this, or even this year's turbo/non-turbo debacle, than the cheating that was apparently endemic in touring car racing at one time, long ago...

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Was at Brands Hatch today for my first visit to a BTCC race. Odd timing I know but have watched on and off for years, and finally thought I'd go.

It was great fun.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The whole situation's an absolute farce. It's all being stage-managed to get the best possible finale at Silverstone. Is this the series I grew up watching and spent many an enjoyable weekend watching in person? No.
    To be fair, Plato also set a new lap record with 45kg of weight in the car in race two, suggesting that he (deservedly) has it well hooked up to take two wins.

Quote Originally Posted by AndySpeed
    To be fair, Plato also set a new lap record with 45kg of weight in the car in race two, suggesting that he (deservedly) has it well hooked up to take two wins.
    And almost all year he has been able to take a win from the front, even before TOCA pegged back the turbos. For a long time it was actually racing them that seemed to be the problem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The whole situation's an absolute farce. It's all being stage-managed to get the best possible finale at Silverstone. Is this the series I grew up watching and spent many an enjoyable weekend watching in person? No.
    Nothing cynical about that, it's the truth. Plato has the most race wins, most poles and STILL moans about the turbos. 4 poles out of the last 5 races. Consistant fastest laps and untouchable upfront yet STILL we get comments like 'Forget it, at Silverstone we wont even make the top 10' PATHETIC!!

I would bet money he gets pole and race 1 & 2 wins. He was clearly sandbagging and still got pole at Brands - he sat in the pits for the last 2 minutes he was that confident no one could touch his time. Strange that his top speed in race 3 was 3mph QUICKER than in qually, race 1 or race 2 when he needed to make up ground and only 7/10's of a second slower than the leading hondas. 0.7mph would not see any car 'flying off into the distance' its not anywhere near enough to overtake.

The weight additions have killed the rest of the field who are forced to run setups that will protect their tyres. It will be a repeat at Silverstone and Plato will win the championship. It was written (probably with the help of funding) from early on this season. Hell even Boardman keeping his race win was to aid Plato, where was O'Neills punishment for exactly the same contact on Austin at Rockingham?

On the subject of O'Neill.. the guy should be fined for admitting, on live TV, that he has been bought off by Plato (who has supplied parts and advise) and has an 'agreement' to let him through should he come up behind him!!!!! that is SHOCKING. That is not racing.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Webster
    Strange that his top speed in race 3 was 3mph QUICKER than in qually, race 1 or race 2
    Not really, he had a slipstream in race 3, not in qualifying, race1 and race 2.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Webster
    On the subject of O'Neill.. the guy should be fined for admitting, on live TV, that he has been bought off by Plato (who has supplied parts and advise) and has an 'agreement' to let him through should he come up behind him!!!!! that is SHOCKING. That is not racing.
    I disagree with you there. That sort of thing has always happened in motorsport and, if you think about it, actually makes quite a lot of sense. You clearly don't like Plato, but if I was Owy in that sort of situation then I'd do exactly the same. Don't bite the hand that feeds, etc...