Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Standing starts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFalzone
    A very good point. To me, standing starts fit right in with "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing". Also... record breaking speeds.. But we all know how that has gone.
    Actually I believe the 500 is the first place that used rolling starts as it was determined that having 40ish (can't remember the exact number off the top of my head) cars all trying to get away at the start would have been too dangerous. With those cars being fairly unreliable and all, I'd say it was a prudent decision. So standing starts actually go against the traditions of "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing".
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Standing starts helped ruin Champ Cars and there is no place for them in Indycars!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedworx
    Standing starts helped ruin Champ Cars and there is no place for them in Indycars!!!
    I think you are confusing standing starts with low car count, shoddy management and three owners that couldn't quite get along, oh and a catastrophic division of the sport that decimated the fan base.....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's funny how a lot of Europeans don't want IndyCar to do standing starts. I remember this was the case when CC was talking about standing starts also. I don't know why they would rather have the messy, strung out starts that have plagued IndyCar on road courses forever versus the close and generally cleaner starts that F1 enjoys. ChampCar did lot of things wrong, but standing starts wasn't one of them. The opening laps of their races where much better, imo, than the opening laps with rolling starts before they switched.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck34
    Actually I believe the 500 is the first place that used rolling starts as it was determined that having 40ish (can't remember the exact number off the top of my head) cars all trying to get away at the start would have been too dangerous. With those cars being fairly unreliable and all, I'd say it was a prudent decision. So standing starts actually go against the traditions of "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing".
    Perhaps not in tradition, but certainly in spirit.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Apparently the new car has been designed to allow standing starts:

[youtube]pklyqCw2ckE[/youtube]

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedworx
    That's a funny post
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBell
    It's funny how a lot of Europeans don't want IndyCar to do standing starts. I remember this was the case when CC was talking about standing starts also. I don't know why they would rather have the messy, strung out starts that have plagued IndyCar on road courses forever versus the close and generally cleaner starts that F1 enjoys. ChampCar did lot of things wrong, but standing starts wasn't one of them. The opening laps of their races where much better, imo, than the opening laps with rolling starts before they switched.
    I am surprised that you feel most Europeans prefer rolling starts as I have not gained that impression however if correct it could be because we do not have rolling starts for open wheel in Europe and so seeing them in Indycar is novel and different from the norm this side of the pond. Actually Superleague I think have them over here but it is low low on the ratings having financial issues all the time and cancelling races etc which does not attract fans.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Having watched the professor's analysis of the new car, i think standing starts will happen. A hand clutch, launch control and anti-stall. There would be little point having that technology if you didn't plan on having them. Champ Car in 2007 and Long Beach 2008 proved they can be exciting. Standing starts for road/streets and rolling starts for ovals in my opinion.