Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has BTCC completely lost it?

Whilst picking up our coats, cushions etc at Rockingham yesterday, 18/09/2011, I commented to my wife that I really don't care who wins the championship this year.

BTCC, in my opinion, has degraded into childish bickering amongst drivers, childish and dangerous driving tactics, rule changes here, there and everywhere just to appease whoever is whinging the loudest at the time.

I have followed the sport since the 1980's, I introduced my wife to it in the '90's and we have both been fans since. I'm not speaking for her, she has her own opinions which she is entitled and she's big enough and intelligent enough to form those opinions.

However, I shall have to look long and hard at the series before next season to make an informed opinion as to whether or not I wish to following this kind of behaviour from so called adults. It never used to be like this, only in the last few years when differing teams have pushed boundaries of the rules.

Lets go back to the days of all normally asperated cars, no diesels, no gas powered cars. All conforming to one strict specification, then it comes down to driver/engineer skill regarding set-up and driver skill on the track.

I think, at this moment in time that the best racing has to come from the Historic Sports Car Club meets.

I'd welcome other peoples views on this.

Tixy
    Nissan Racing Micra - :smokin:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I went to the BTCC at the weekend for the first time since 2006. To be honest even half an hour before I was due to leave I was thinking about not going but I'm glad I did. I was worried it might be embarrassing to watch but I didn't find that at all I've posted a comment already about what I thought about that.

I was at quali and I didn't even know there had been a bust up I saw a lot of people waiting outside JP's garage for him but that's not unusual and I didn't hear what happened.

What was obvious for me was the lack of a Vauxhall or a Team RAC there's a big presence from Honda and not much else although I have to say the paddock was looking very professional even from the small teams.

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Drivers have been bickering and falling out for years, its nothing new!

Do you not remember Rydell and Reid at Brands and again Reid when he fell out with Thompson at Silverstone? Theres probably plenty more, but people seem very keen to jump on the anti-BTCC band wagon at the moment and its getting so boring to read!

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    There were indeed plenty of such incidents in the past. They were boring then, and they're boring now.
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    One of the things missing from the BTCC at the moment is elitist meritocratic racing.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you don't like the BTCC, don't watch it. If you don't watch it then thats up to you. Don't waste our time with your dull complaints.
    Please ignore ALL of the above....

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the racing. It's the nonsense that surrounds it that I tend to fast forward through or hit the mute button on the TV for. Pantomime season should be restricted to the winter months.
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inimitablestoo
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the racing. It's the nonsense that surrounds it that I tend to fast forward through or hit the mute button on the TV for. Pantomime season should be restricted to the winter months.
    My view exactly.

For what it's worth, my enthusiasm for the BTCC remains undiminished, and I would generally class myself as a 'purist' sort of enthusiast — F1 satisfies that for me, and I've always seen touring cars as a form of light relief. Since the stupidity at Donington, the racing in 2011 has been no dirtier than it's ever been. We've seen a genuine surprise, in that Nick Foster has proved it perfectly possible for someone easily dismissed as a 'gentleman driver' to progress and run at the front in a car that's far from the best. And we've seen the rise of someone I think will be a genuine touring car star of the (not-too-distant) future in Frank Wrathall. However, all this is tempered by the fact of the technical rules this season being a complete dog's dinner. I think the NGTC rules are terrific, and offer the championship a tremendous springboard into the next few years. But the sooner all the competing teams adopt the same technical formula the better. I have no desire for equalisation arguments to continue into 2012. If they do, then I will start to lose interest.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The constant bickering from all sides about the equalisation rules is very irritating, it hasn't served to dampen my enthusiasm for the BTCC though I have to admit I've begun to simply ignore Jason Plato and Matt Neal interviews now. I think the NGTC rules could be fantastic for the championship, I just hope the top teams next year run NGTC so this equalisation argument can drift into the background.
    Blackadder! Blackadder! With many a cunning plan,
    Blackadder! Blackadder! You horrid little man.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VkmSpouge
    The constant bickering from all sides about the equalisation rules is very irritating, it hasn't served to dampen my enthusiasm for the BTCC though I have to admit I've begun to simply ignore Jason Plato and Matt Neal interviews now.
    And now even their arguments pale into insignificance compared with the nonsense in F1 yesterday.