Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wheldon is going for the $5 million!

Indy 500 winner Dan Wheldon eligible for IndyCar's $5 million bonus | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

Indianapolis 500 champion Dan Wheldon will have a $5 millon bonus opportunity at next month's Izod IndyCar Series race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.Many of the details are still to be worked out and unveiled -- a news conference is scheduled Tuesday --but if Wheldon wins the Izod World Championships on Oct. 16, he'll garner $2.5 million for his team and $2.5 million for a fan.
    IndyCar went with the Wheldon option because no driver outside open-wheel racing stepped forward to participate. IndyCar wanted a competitor who could attract attention, and Wheldon, who has not competed in an IndyCar race since May, offers the best chance for that.
    Wheldon, the 2005 series champion, is a two-time 500 winner. He has won 16 IndyCar races.
    I think he has a chance at it, too.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have to repeat my self one more time in asking why not 5 mil for credible championship where people like Will Power who races his heart out every race and is amazing to watch has opportunity to get paid for his skill. Nothing against Wheldon but this type a money is wasted on one event and one person. My opinion.
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    hmmm, not a bad plan - a bit (ok, alot) gimmicky - but in some ways better than the original.... the key here is winning the $2.5 million for a fan..... now THAT ought to get some attention.... where do I sign up?? (or perhaps it would be better if my wife signs up??!!) the other key is, it really could happen whereas the original plan was pretty much pie in the sky (which is one of the reasons nobody signed up).

As for why not to offer it to the season champion - might be a good idea to tie a fan to a driver for the season - but if you did that you would DEFINITELY have to deal with the payday - because someone would win - with this scheme you can afford to offer a big prize because the odds are still pretty good that he won't do it....

I would like to add, this scheme might work for a new version of the triple crown too.....

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Wait... does this make Buddy Rice eligible as well? Indycar better watch out because Dan has a good shot at the money.
    Kyle Busch #18 M&M's Toyota Camry
    Dario Franchitti #10 Target Honda Dallara DW12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FIAT1
    I have to repeat my self one more time in asking why not 5 mil for credible championship where people like Will Power who races his heart out every race and is amazing to watch has opportunity to get paid for his skill. Nothing against Wheldon but this type a money is wasted on one event and one person. My opinion.
    I agree with you, but the thing is that they would actually have to come up with 5 million to add to the championship. My understanding of the gimmick is that they took a insurance policy for 5 mil and if one of the guest drivers where to win, then it would pay out. Not likely to happen. But adding 5 mil to the championship would be a sure payout and that would have to come from IndyCar itself. I don't think the Hulman- George family are interested in forking out their own money to make that happen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 00steven
    Wait... does this make Buddy Rice eligible as well? Indycar better watch out because Dan has a good shot at the money.

I think if it looks like Dan might win, then Barnhart will call one of his "discretionary" penalties and put Wheldon a lap down.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Instead of just one fan why not $100 for each fan in the stands ...the crowd will likely be in the 25k range
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Make it so the fan has to be there in attendance or call within 15 minutes to win. In other words, if Weldon wins, & they pull Larry Jone's name from Boise ID. out of the hat, he needs to call within 15 minutes or he loses the prize. That should bring up the ratings. Either that or he needs to be there in person, and since Vegas is a town filled with gamblers, it would help fill the stands.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hate to be the bringer of negativity to this thread, but Wheldon, the 2011 500 winner, should already be in a fulltime ride, not the "celeb guest driver" for this special event. That he is not, says a lot of crappy things about the series right now. Secondly, as much as I like him, he brings very little as far as new eyes to the Vegas finale. I can't believe that racing in 2011 has come to this. $5 mill and not one guest driver that wants to give it a shot. Scale it down to 1/5th that, 20 years ago, and you'd have had drivers from all over the world giving it a shot.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFalzone
    I hate to be the bringer of negativity to this thread, but Wheldon, the 2011 500 winner, should already be in a fulltime ride, not the "celeb guest driver" for this special event. That he is not, says a lot of crappy things about the series right now. Secondly, as much as I like him, he brings very little as far as new eyes to the Vegas finale. I can't believe that racing in 2011 has come to this. $5 mill and not one guest driver that wants to give it a shot. Scale it down to 1/5th that, 20 years ago, and you'd have had drivers from all over the world giving it a shot.
    Amen! That's straight up truth.
    Kyle Busch #18 M&M's Toyota Camry
    Dario Franchitti #10 Target Honda Dallara DW12