Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

St. Devote was right about Button

I know fizzicist rated Button highly (and while I'm at it, just WHERE did fizzicist go?) but after seeing him lose to Fisichella at Benetton, and later struggle with the recalcitrant Honda (even Rubens was beating him), I've been very surprised over the last two season with how well Button has gotten on at McLaren, and in particular how evenly matched he is with Lewis. Perhaps the difference now is that while earlier in his career he had a few bad cars, McLaren always gives him a good one. Granted, he's not as consistent a qualifier as Hamilton, but he more often than not maximizes his races.

I used to think the absolute best were Alonso, Hamilton, and Vettel, but now I can honestly add Jenson to the that list.

Liked 1,090 Times in 607 Posts
    I agree. He is so smooth during the race that if he could be a little more aggressive in qualifying he could be a serious challenger for a few wins.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Agree.

I remember after that good first season at Williams seeing him lapped 2 or 3 times and way behind Fisichella at Benetton. I thought he wouldn't find a drive the following year, but then outperformed Trulli in 02 and a good building season at BAR got him back into contention. I then thought he was a good midfielder. Like Panis or Trulli.

Then obviously 2004 was a great season for him so many podiums but no wins.

Then Honda went downwards and I thought around 2007 or 2008 he may fade away.

Then 2009 and the way he used the great car he had to win 6 races and beat Barrichello completley overjoyed me as I always followed him closely.

But as you said 2010 and 2011 have really shown he is up there now as one of the very best drivers in F1.

A great guy and great driver who is impressing me more and more each race, lets hope he can challenge for the title one more time at Mclaren
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I never thought I would say it but indeed he is proving that he's more than a match for Hamy, something I didn't think would happen.
    He's winning the intra-team battle this season and there are rumors that the many in the team prefer him instead of Lewis for his cerebral racing.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    If Mclaren give him a car on par with a Red Bull next year, which I admit will be a struggle he should be able to win a few races and maybe challenge for the title. Although I think if the Red Bull and Mclaren are matched Vettel would still win the title.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze
    I know fizzicist rated Button highly (and while I'm at it, just WHERE did fizzicist go?) but after seeing him lose to Fisichella at Benetton, and later struggle with the recalcitrant Honda (even Rubens was beating him), I've been very surprised over the last two season with how well Button has gotten on at McLaren, and in particular how evenly matched he is with Lewis. Perhaps the difference now is that while earlier in his career he had a few bad cars, McLaren always gives him a good one. Granted, he's not as consistent a qualifier as Hamilton, but he more often than not maximizes his races.

I used to think the absolute best were Alonso, Hamilton, and Vettel, but now I can honestly add Jenson to the that list.
    +1
    Ha'wey Hamilton, bring the WDC crown home and the beers are on me :up:

Liked 677 Times in 473 Posts
    Jenson has improved his racecraft quite a bit IMO. It seems his ability and confidence has gone up as he got into the good cars. Being consistent and racing the whole race rather than racing for the second should keep him ahead of Lewis this year.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    He is a very good driver, but he seems a lot more confident now. I am impressed!
    Formula 1

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze

He is certainly proving that he is a fantastic racer, there is no doubt about that. But once has to realise that Hamilton is having a poor season by his standard and is only 9 points, I think, behind Jenson in the championship. It's not a lot. Credit where credit is due to Jenson but once Hamilton gets himself together I can see Button being owned by him again. Jenson is a fantastic racer but I don't rate him on the same level as the top 3 and to do so I feel is getting completely carried away over a few good performances.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Jenson has proved many of the doubters wrong with his racecraft and proves he was an excellent choice for McLaren. Lewis is having his worst season since entering the sport and is making mistakes that are throwing away valuable points. Jenson is consistent and is able to take advantage. Hats off to him and I hope his performance continues for the rest of the season. Part of me hopes he beats Lewis on points this year as it will be the kick up the rectum Lewis needs right now.
    Yeah, that's how I feel, Henners. I was less than impressed with Lewis yesterday in the race. He was caught napping and couldn't pass Schumacher. He needs a kick in his rear end to get him into gear again and Button finishing ahead of him in the championship might be exactly what he needs.