Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1961 Italian Grand Prix

Tomorrow will be the 50 years since Phil Hill (USA! USA!) won the F1 title and his teammate, Wolfgang von Trips, perished along with spectators.

http://youtu.be/5N2ezGlgKtM
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    And, by a sad symmetry September 10th is also the anniversary of Ronnie's fatal accident and Mario becoming the second US champion in 1978.

And digging further back, Giuseppe Campari, Baconin Borzacchini and Stanislas Czaykowski all died at Monza on 10th September 1933.

On a more cheerful note, September 10 1967 saw Jim Clark make one of his greatest drives. He had trouble early on (something like having to change a wheel) and made up a complete lap on the whole field, including team mate Graham Hill, only to run out of petrol a couple of laps from the end.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts

Monza Bonanza

Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    On a more cheerful note, September 10 1967 saw Jim Clark make one of his greatest drives..
    I know it’s odd to say this as a Dan Gurney fan, but if there was a time-machine I could temporarily transport myself into for one event (with regards to racing at least) it would be the 1967 Italian GP, because of Clark’s performance. Though it would be hard to pass up the 1966 race when Ludovico Scarfiotti won, when one member here (prc1966?) mention his experience of the event and the all-over-town party atmosphere that followed it.

Not to mention that there's something sacred about that track. Which is why I regard the Italian GP as F1's annual Indianapolis 500.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AAReagles
    I know it’s odd to say this as a Dan Gurney fan, but if there was a time-machine I could temporarily transport myself into for one event (with regards to racing at least) it would be the 1967 Italian GP, because of Clark’s performance.
    I am sure that Gurney, as such an admirer of Clark himself, would be more than happy with that!

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    and Clark rated Gurney first among all his (Clark's) contempories.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    I'm currently reading "The Limit" by Michael Cannell.

Has anyone else read it?
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Yes, and it was, to be charitable, a rather poor imitation of the Robert Daley "blood, gore, guts, and Grand Prix" school of automotive sports journalism. One may correctly infer that I did not think very much of it.
    Popular memory is not history.... -- Gordon Wood

lol