Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WRC Rally of Wales over the top safety and marshalls

All,

First time on the forum and im going to wade straight in with a controverial topic that might, I hope, prompt a good discussion but even more so make someone with some authority on the matter take the issue further for me and all the other fans planning on attending Wales this year.

My gripe begins a few years back, having always attended the Lombard RAC since a kid of 5 with my father I have made it my yearly jaunt to follow my sport even though it has moved further and further away (I live in Newcastle) since the good old days. And it is this further and further away comment that is relevant to my current frustration.

Last year I attended the rally as per usual and to cut a long story short made my way onto the stage on one of the ranges. Now whilst I appreciate you cant go wandering around the ranges why is it that even on a straight part of the course spectators were held back behind tape nearly 40metres from the road!! I may aswell have watched it on tv.

A similiar even more frustrating issue occurs on the forest stages. The loathed introduction of 'Spectator Viewing points' where you are restricted to standning with everyone else in a place dictated by whoever sets up the stage. This prevents you from the age old enjoyment of walking the stage and finding 'your spot' a spot thats unique to you and where you feel you will enjoy it the most. Everyone adheres to the rules, listens for whistles, clears the stage when the pace car comes through etc. For those of you who are now saying to yourselves 'No they dont, there is always someone who stands in the wrong place etc' yes fine, but why should that be a reason to SPOIL it for everyone.

Im afraid the grass roots of the sport are being spoiled by these over the top rules health and safety nonsense and you will see a large movement of spectators to lower level rallying if you continue to restrict the rally to the far reaches of Wales, the over the top pricing that results in those who cannot travel with a group finally saying enough is enough and the H&E that is ruining the sport as a spectacle.

For those Marshalls who know what im saying please speak up with those in charge and for those who look down there noses from the safety Range rover go and marshall F1!!

Rant over, bring on the do gooders!!!

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Finland this year was a very nice example how it should be done, I've thought about visiting rally GB this year aswell, but experience from previous year makes me wonder if that's the right thing to do.

MJW
    I accept some drastic (over) reactions happened years ago after Carlos Sainz crasshed into spectators and injured them but honestly I dont have any problem spectating on WRGB. The spectator pens of the early 2000'S have gone away. I have walked miles on Epynt and watched basically wherever I want, OK you may have to take the long way round the bunch of hi vis clad photographers (sorry marshalls). Honestly I have been subject to more restrictions in Finland and Germany this year had some zealous marshalls, and from what I read on Rally Australia thread they seem to have some strict rules down under.

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Last year at Rally GB I found that the marshalls were very relaxed up on Epynt as long as you wernt stood some where rediculous, while in the area I visited at Resolven they were overly strict and far too over the top!

Ypres is an amazing rally but thats no better for being able to go where you want as there is red tape and signs everywhere, and they have a safety helicopter that constantly flys around keeping an eye on people. We (or maybe just me!) got buzzed because being stood a few feet away from the road, on a long straight was considered dangerous, and moving back one more foot apparently made us safe! It still didnt put me off and I loved the event, but it showed that GB isnt the only place where they are very careful with spectators

2/10 for the rant though, very old subject

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    To be fair, it's not too bad on RallyGB anymore, the majority of marshals are pretty relaxed to were you stand, providing it's not in a stupid spot. As MJW says, there was an overeaction in the years that followed the 2001 Sainz accident. I've gone to Hafren & Halfway and stood were I liked, no problem. If they did cut ticket prices i'd have nothing to complain about.

However, I'd encourage you to go, pick a decent spot, and the commitment and speed of the top guys is awesome!! I doubt there are many finer sights in Motorsport!

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 40 Times in 12 Posts
    Get a map.
    Do some planning.
    You're rant is obsolete.
    https://www.facebook.com/BritishRallyMedia/

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Crazyfists
    Im afraid the grass roots of the sport are being spoiled by these over the top rules health and safety nonsense and you will see a large movement of spectators to lower level rallying if you continue to restrict the rally to the far reaches of Wales, the over the top pricing that results in those who cannot travel with a group finally saying enough is enough and the H&E that is ruining the sport as a spectacle.
    1. Find any passage in actual 'health and safety' legislation, or any actions by the authorities responsible for imposing said legislation, that actually deals with these issues. I'll help you — they don't exist. It's a myth.

2. H&E I think generally refers to 'Health and Efficiency', something rather different.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    1. Find any passage in actual 'health and safety' legislation, or any actions by the authorities responsible for imposing said legislation, that actually deals with these issues. I'll help you — they don't exist. It's a myth.

2. H&E I think generally refers to 'Health and Efficiency', something rather different.
    Your post is elf and safety gone mad!!!!

Whenever someone mentiones "health and safety" on this forum, 99% of the time they're talking pure crap. This seems to be no exception.

I'm quite looking to the stages in North Wales this year, not sure whether I'll just go to the Orme or whether I'm going to try and take in some forest action.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
    The Orme will be a tad busy I think, probbaly go to Clocaenog or take in the atmosphere in LLandudno town centre...

Must admit i've watched in hafren last few years and had no issues where to stand, no fences, friendly marshalls....good fun really

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    I believe this is common nowadays, in Portugal 2007 marshalls were always on you if you moved an inch outside the tape. However years have gone by and they tend to take it more easily nowadays, this year you could arrive early and walk besides the stage with no problem.

I remember in 2007 there was a chopper flying around and they had this annoying alarm sound, if you were outside the tape it's almost like they wanted to set up a quarantine around you.