Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    I think most of us who think bad about him is because they were other people involved and the fact they were minors adds to that....If they were only adults in the helicopter i think the reactions would be far less "strict" towards him because as an adult you can always say "Cut the %&^$^ man" or voice your objection towards stupid behaviours... but a child is a child...

Nobody judges him for doing stupid things....we are motorsport fans and the basis of motorsport (especially rallying) is doing TOTALLY stupid things in a controlled envinoment (going 100-120 Mph through forests isn't exactly sane). we Judge him because he did something stupid and some people involved who payed the price ALSO didn't have the choice to say STOP.

As i said would you "support" (not literally since none approves what he did) him if he was a rich bussinesman ???

The fact that the report doesn't try to cover any of the facts can only benefit everyone.

The fact that he was a legend of the sport cannot be taken away by anything in the world.... but the fact that he CHOOSE to leave this world like that, taking innocent people with him tells a lot about his character and that also is something it cannot change no matter how many people he made happy through his driving and achievements.

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    Can't believe some of the stuff I am reading here!!

The investigation had to take place, do you think it would just be left as "oh it was an accident", have you ever heard of that happening with any other sort of air crash? Journalists are only publishing this to make a headline (as I read on another forum). Unbelievable.

"The fundamental purpose of investigating accidents is to determine the circumstances and causes of the accident with a view to the preservation of life and the avoidance of accidents in the future; it is not to apportion blame or liability." From the AAIB website.

My personal opinion is that, indeed, he made a mistake. Big time. I can see how you could quite easily go out and go and have a bit of fun enjoying yourself in your 'toy' even though you shouldn't really do it, like probably most of us have in cars at one time or another.

HOWEVER, while you can quite easily go out and do this yourself, it is absolutely unforgivable that he did this when he had kids in with him. Totally out of order, and without a license?? Incredible. Also irresponsible to the rest of the family that he has left behind, and the relatives of those also killed.

Unfortunately I agree with NOT, it has spoiled the memories I had of him rallying.
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by slorydn1
    That said, I'm sure everyone has an opinion. Everyone is free to voice their opinion. I applaud almost everyone for not directly going after another poster in voicing their opinion. Go after the post, not the poster. A few have gotten close to that line, so be careful. Other than tha good job so far
    I respect that 100%, and I respect the fairness in moderating("Everyone is free to voice their opinion"), thank you (And I dont mean that in a sarcastic way!)

I know he made mistakes, and I'm sure if he could take it all back, he would.
    I just find it deeply saddening that a lot (not all) people have such a low opinion of him.
    Ha'wey Hamilton, bring the WDC crown home and the beers are on me :up:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    Can't believe some of the stuff I am reading here!!

The investigation had to take place, do you think it would just be left as "oh it was an accident", have you ever heard of that happening with any other sort of air crash? Journalists are only publishing this to make a headline (as I read on another forum). Unbelievable.

"The fundamental purpose of investigating accidents is to determine the circumstances and causes of the accident with a view to the preservation of life and the avoidance of accidents in the future; it is not to apportion blame or liability." From the AAIB website.

My personal opinion is that, indeed, he made a mistake. Big time. I can see how you could quite easily go out and go and have a bit of fun enjoying yourself in your 'toy' even though you shouldn't really do it, like probably most of us have in cars at one time or another.

HOWEVER, while you can quite easily go out and do this yourself, it is absolutely unforgivable that he did this when he had kids in with him. Totally out of order, and without a license?? Incredible. Also irresponsible to the rest of the family that he has left behind, and the relatives of those also killed.

Unfortunately I agree with NOT, it has spoiled the memories I had of him rallying.
    A licence is just a bit of paper, it's not as if he wasn't qualified, just out of date. In my experience all licences do is give credibility to ijits.
    I will be rich, as soon as I invent a machine that can punch a man in the face over the internet.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza2541
    A licence is just a bit of paper, it's not as if he wasn't qualified, just out of date. In my experience all licences do is give credibility to ijits.
    I agree with the bit about licences to a degree. Hell i've raced under Canadian various US, Swedish and French licences and held driver's licences all over the place..

But not only was whatever licence he held expired, he was in fact not "qualified' in the helicopter he was so recklessly flying.

Separately, a two fold thought: why do some people seem compelled to defend the PERSON McRae who has done this horrible thing---and which as we have seen, was often so quick to show disrespect for those all around like the mechanics and his co-drivers and the car designers, and defend the person as if they knew him as a personal friend?

And why do we have to idolize drivers--or sport figures in general and imagine that they are necessarily "nice people" or like a good mate?

Nobody can argue that Colin was a fantastically fun driver to watch driving, especially in his blue Subaru days.....

But that has nothing to do with him as a person.

Why should it?

Nothing can erase memories of his days in the Legacy in Finland, or the Impreza in San Remo....but that was the driver..

This tragedy---an entirely pointless tragedy ----- I believe was entirely in character.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I think like so many who excel in Motorsport they almost must have a flawed personality which does lead to incidents such as this.

Air crashes are not like car crashes they must be investigated and any blame apportioned.

NOT and J4MIE have said it all here.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza2541
    That's a fair point but if I were to drive after my driving license expires and have an accident involving others, I assume that I would be in quite a lot of trouble. "Just out of date" wouldn't cut it. I would be expecting jail time.
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa
    But not only was whatever licence he held expired, he was in fact not "qualified' in the helicopter he was so recklessly flying.

I cant disagree with any of your other points, but I have read in other places that he had been qualified on this Helicopter but it was basicaly a paper work error that let it lapse, I'll try and find links but maybe its just fanciful thinking from a fan?

One thing is sure, 2 adults were up there, and 2 kids, the adults both failed the kids, that the 2 kids where killed by big boys playing with a big toy is unforgivable.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Excellent thread. One of the best ever on this forum.

Not often that I agree with JVL, but he has nailed it perfectly.

Those of us who have been around rallying for a long time understand that sometimes the stars of our sport are often not star material outside of the car.
    Doug Woods

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    Leave the dead man in peace.