Gary Johnson To Race Crescent Suzuki At Macau Grand Prix

by Barry Russell
Gary Johnson with Crescent Suzuki electronics wizard, Tim Seed at the 2010 Macau Grand Prix

Roads ace Gary Johnson hasn’t let the recent financial demise of East Coast Racing take away his momentum in a year that has seen him begin to fulfil his potential.
The Lincolnshire racer has been hot property since taking his first TT win in June, but has been keeping careful control over his future to make sure he gets the right factory ride for 2012. He bought his 600 Supersport machine from East Coast Racing which he will run for the rest of the season under long term sponsor Lincs Lifting. At his first solo outing at Cadwell Park at the weekend, he took a seventh and fifth place.
Johnson was ready to take the Honda Superbike he has been racing on the roads to Macau, but has agreed to race the Samsung Crescent Suzuki on which John Hopkins has been contesting the British Superbike Championship this season.
Explaining the recent developments, Johnson said, “I am absolutely gutted for East Coast. They are a top bunch of lads who helped me get my first TT win and it is so disappointing to go under because of the economic situation.
“The offer from Crescent Samsung Suzuki is incredible though. The only slight downside is that they have no data for Macau, but I think we will overcome that with Tim Seed who worked with me on the electronics at Macau last year and the TT and has been full time with Hopper this season. We have also agreed that James Hillier, my teammate from last year will be on Jon Kirkham’s bike. He was running me close last year before his tyre shredded, so we will both really be going for it this time out!”
Both Johnson and Hillier are Macau exponents who wrung outstanding performances out of a pair of relatively primitive AIM Suzukis in 2009 and 2010, so should be able to make up for the lack of technical data with their experience.
The Macau Grand Prix will be on Saturday November 19th, with two practice and qualifying sessions over the Thursday and Friday beforehand.