Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Perry "the Stig" McCarthy's new book.

Anyone read it yet?

Titled "Flat Out, Flat Broke - Formula 1 the hard way".

As well as being the first Stig for Top Gear, he also drove for the Andrea Moda team. Well, I say drove

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    What exactly "new" is it then? An updated/extended version of the same title that was published years ago?

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Is there possibly some confusion with The Man in the White Suit, the autobiography of stunt driver Ben Collins which came out last year. He revealed in his book that he was the Stig so the BBC tried (unsuccessfully) to have it banned - and as a result probably increased the sales.
    For the story have a look at This Daily Mail article
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    No there was a Perry McCarthy book, which is why he got fired as the 'black' Stig.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    But it came out years ago, it's not new.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    but it might now be promoted for sale on a popular historic (some people might say "retro") formula 1 mechandise webite?
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    I now know what happened: The original posting contained a link to another site with a feature on Perry McCarthy which was edited out by Mark. This makes it a little stilted. Despite the thread title, Flat out, flat broke - Formula 1 the hard way is not a new book - it's been out in hardback and paperback for a while..

Let's ignore the misleading title and carry this on as a discussion of the two books.

My two pennyworth - I read Flat out, flat broke - Formula 1 the hard way a while back and although I enjoyed it I wouldn't recommend paying out for the hardback. Can anyone else who has read it add their opinion?

I haven't read The Man in the White Suit - can anybody who has read it tell us what it's like?
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    but it might now be promoted for sale on a popular historic (some people might say "retro") formula 1 mechandise webite?
    You and D-Type are correct. It was offered as a prize along with a Moda shirt for a competition on 'that' site. I must be honest and assumed it was a new release as I hadn't come across it before but assumption being the mother of all feck-ups, I was wrong.

I must admit, I read the write-up and wondered if anyone had read this new book. Whoops!

Will now need to order a copy

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    I now know what happened: The original posting contained a link to another site with a feature on Perry McCarthy which was edited out by Mark. This makes it a little stilted. Despite the thread title, Flat out, flat broke - Formula 1 the hard way is not a new book - it's been out in hardback and paperback for a while..

Let's ignore the misleading title and carry this on as a discussion of the two books.

My two pennyworth - I read Flat out, flat broke - Formula 1 the hard way a while back and although I enjoyed it I wouldn't recommend paying out for the hardback. Can anyone else who has read it add their opinion?

I haven't read The Man in the White Suit - can anybody who has read it tell us what it's like?
    Both are about journeymen drivers, the former well written and includes great and hilarious anecdotes. For instance, Perry McCarthy would physically edit cut & paste his own race reports from Autosport, photocopy and send them out as a means for sponsorship!

The latter, I was familiar with Ben's racing background - particularly ASCAR and judged the book as a means to cash in on the Stig persona. Out of curiosity and stuck in an airport lounge I only skimmed a few pages and the ones I turned to contained on the F and C word regarding racing incidents. So not particularly engaging nor by flicking a randon page did I find anything informative that would gauge the enthusiast (usually a good indicator of a good book)

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Perry McCarthy's book is a good read. I just finished reading it for the second time the other day.

Perry's book highlights that professional racing drivers have to be more than just racing drivers.
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.