Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts

4 degrees of camber

Apparently , Newey was petrified that , having chosen a degree of camber on the fronts that was more extreme than the recommended four degrees , the tires were in danger of delaminating .

Obviously , the recommendation was put in for safety reasons , and the FIA are in charge of this aspect of the racing .

It would seems rather obvious to me that a simple tire angle measuring device could be employed to make sure that the racing is safe on the tires supplied .

The situation begs the question of who would be responsible for a major failure , if the recommendations regarding camber are disregarded .
    If this was , indeed , that scary for Newey , then I say that this should be stopped right away .
    He went into the unknown here , and risked his driver's lives for a win . That's just not right .

And , it would be a horrible end to a stellar career to cause something unthinkable in this way .

Pirelli's response , obviously feeling extremely vulnerable that this isn't regulated to begin with , has been to say they will be even more cautious in the future , recommending even less camber , so as to try to rein in the greedy teams .

This , of course , won't work , as the teams now know this will be the plan , so they'll likely just regard it as such , and go even more extreme .

From Newey's attitude about flaunting the recommendations , it suggests that Pirelli may already be down-grading the angle suggestion already .
    They are supplied with all the data from the teams regarding the tires , so they can design them to the spec , so they know what Newey is doing .

When asked , Hembrey wouldn't reveal the angle Newey was setting them at , but it sure sounded like he wanted to .
    Here , perhaps , is one of the keys to the speed of that Bull .
    It may also be handicapping the others as well , if Pirelli is purposefully down-grading the camber angle because of the Bulls , and the rest are following orders .

Much as I hate the introduction of new rules during the season , I advocate getting some regulation in pronto here , so we don't have a disaster .

Pirelli should be allowed to recommend a maximum camber setting , and expect that the FIA will regulate it .

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan
    It may also be handicapping the others as well , if Pirelli is purposefully down-grading the camber angle because of the Bulls , and the rest are following orders .
    How do we know if other teams are withing Pirellis campber spec?

I'm not sure it's such a big safety concern as delaminating tyre would most likely will affect lap times before exploding, forcing a pit stop.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Quote Originally Posted by janneppi

I'm not sure it's such a big safety concern as delaminating tyre would most likely will affect lap times before exploding, forcing a pit stop.
    We don't , exactly , but we do know this , from Paul Hembery of Pirelli :
    "So were left in a situation where one team in particular was stretching the limits of our recommendations and we felt that that in a race situation would create difficulties, and blistering."

If it was not a big safety issue , would Newey have said this ? :
    “Frankly, at the end of the race, I was just very relieved that both our drivers were safe.”

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    We don't , exactly , but we do know this , from Paul Hembery of Pirelli :
    "So were left in a situation where one team in particular was stretching the limits of our recommendations and we felt that that in a race situation would create difficulties, and blistering."

“Frankly, at the end of the race, I was just very relieved that both our drivers were safe.”
    Yeah, it was a self-created pickle RBR found themselves in on Sunday. I agree that a regulation change is needed here and I'm sure Newey would agree. He said a few races before the blown diffuser ban at Silverstone that he is in favour of a regulation change mid season on the grounds of safety. Well, if there was ever a need for a regulation change now, then this is it. Pirelli recommend the maximum camber angle at every GP and the teams can go under but not above it. It shoulds like RBR have been stretching the limits. They pushed it too far and both or either of their drivers could have paid the price this weekend.

You can tell that Hembrey's pi$$ed with Newey over this :
    "...it depends how stupid you want to be. Ordinarily there should not be any concern; it is something that should be self regulating. Some of the images I saw today on two cars made me think that maybe they were not looking at the same images as me – or they did not have a high definition television. I don't know...".

And this doesn't sound happy either :
    "Everything can be a safety issue if you continue beyond natural limits of using it, but you have to believe that the level of professionalism of people within the sport is such that they are not going to go that far."

And this is the "pickle" :
    "In the end, what do you do? Do you make a change and end up creating a precedent? Do you make a change that would be seen to assisting one team and all the other teams, particularly with the result we had at the end? If we had, I think today you would not be asking me about this, you would be asking me why we helped Red Bull win the race? So it was a very difficult situation to be in."

Yeah , he's pi$$ed .

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts

It seems Redbull thought the safety concern wasn't big enough to warrant a smaller camber angle.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I dont think it was a massive safety concern. Just that the tyres may lose grip faster.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi

Indeed, it looks like McLaren were also running a higher angle then the one Pirelli were recommending.

McLaren didn't change set-up for tyres at Spa - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    You can tell that Hembrey's pi$$ed with Newey over this :
    "...it depends how stupid you want to be. Ordinarily there should not be any concern; it is something that should be self regulating. Some of the images I saw today on two cars made me think that maybe they were not looking at the same images as me – or they did not have a high definition television. I don't know...".

And this doesn't sound happy either :
    "Everything can be a safety issue if you continue beyond natural limits of using it, but you have to believe that the level of professionalism of people within the sport is such that they are not going to go that far."

And this is the "pickle" :
    "In the end, what do you do? Do you make a change and end up creating a precedent? Do you make a change that would be seen to assisting one team and all the other teams, particularly with the result we had at the end? If we had, I think today you would not be asking me about this, you would be asking me why we helped Red Bull win the race? So it was a very difficult situation to be in."

Yeah , he's pi$$ed .
    IMO Hembery is far from the level of F1 expertise that Newey and other F1 engineers have.
    Call me the day they finally make a tire that can hold a candle to Bridgestone's tires and then I might listen to what Hembery blabbers.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    A tyre manufacturer's guidelines should remain just that and teams should remain pushing the limits - but just don't go throwing toys out of the pram when you were advised not to go beyond a certain tolerance.

Colin Chapman would be spinning in his grave.