Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rwc 2011

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I put the fact that you don't like Rugby Union down to the fact that you have no taste. League, I can not stand as it's a silly game which is just back and forth, but Union really has a fantastic flow to it when you've got 2 good nations playing.
    Hear hear.

Rugby League is a logically stupid game. Even if you hold possession for six tackles, the operation of the rules forces you to give the ball over for no damn good reason at all. Even American Football rewards possession by giving the team with the ball another four downs if they achieve ten yards on the drive.
    The excuse usually given is that it forces the team with the ball to do something with it. I think that that argument is dumb, because the team with the ball already wants to score with it. The rules merely result in run for 5 tackles and then kick.
    I've had the benefit of watching matches from the 1960s before the tackle count on Australia's ABC2 and the game flowed much better.

Rugby I think allows for a number of different styles of play and the game is much better for it.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    What's wrong with Wales?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cali
    What's wrong with Wales?
    Nothing wrong with Wales in much the same way there is nothing wrong with France

Naw, seriously Cali, it's a bit of Rugby humour that went over Dans head. The English and Welsh have a deep seated rivalry in Rugby the same as NZ and Aus. As for the French, nobody likes them. Well, at least until the final whistle when it's one big celebration and genuine camaraderie and friendship between all Rugby fans.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Oh I'll support Wales if they're playing England
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Is that directed at me? When it comes to Rugby my blood is most certainly GREEN
    Good man
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    Hear hear.

Rugby League is a logically stupid game. Even if you hold possession for six tackles, the operation of the rules forces you to give the ball over for no damn good reason at all. Even American Football rewards possession by giving the team with the ball another four downs if they achieve ten yards on the drive.
    The excuse usually given is that it forces the team with the ball to do something with it. I think that that argument is dumb, because the team with the ball already wants to score with it. The rules merely result in run for 5 tackles and then kick.
    I've had the benefit of watching matches from the 1960s before the tackle count on Australia's ABC2 and the game flowed much better.

Rugby I think allows for a number of different styles of play and the game is much better for it.
    Exactly. I know some on here like League but I think that's more because of geographical ties like the fact that League originated in the North of England.

It's a silly game like you say which gives the team who doesn't deserve posession the ball. I'm the sort of person who, if the Boks are playing like crap wants to see them punished with no posession rather than given the ball purely because they tackle a few times.

Plus I've never seen a union player stick his finger up another players you know what..... I'm looking at you Hopoate......

Anyway, there are very good reasons why the Union World Cup gets such good coverage and most people only notice that the league world cup is on after it gets mentioned in the sports section on the news.

Union is such a beautiful sport and after motorsport it's my favourite sport to watch
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Formula 1
    As for the French, nobody likes them. Well, at least until the final whistle when it's one big celebration and genuine camaraderie and friendship between all Rugby fans.
    That's the great thing about Union. I've NEVER been to a match where there's ever been anything more than lighthearted banter. Contrast that to football where for instance I worked with a girl who was always getting into shouting matches in her local with fans of other teams.

I think Union fans just love Rugby...... and although we all want our team to win, I think there's an overwhelming desire to just see a good game regardless of who wins. I know there appears to be a lot of animosity in the F1 forum, but if this were a football forum and instead of it being RBR vs Mclaren it was Liverpool vs Manchester Seriously get the hell over the whole team thing and just enjoy the sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would say that Aus and Nz have the easiest groups.

England have Scotland that want to bash lumps out of us, Romania and Georgia that are more than capable of bashing lumps and Argentina who only know how to bash lumps

I think we will go through as group leaders OK but with how many men???

SA have hard games against Wales and Samoa but Fiji should just be dynamic and not too physical and a freebee against Namibia.

Aus have an easy run apart from Ireland and NZ just need to dispatch France.

Predictions for Quarters are:

Aus / Wales

Eng / France

Sa / Ire

Nz / Arg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Motorsport forum is mostly just high spirits. Some people get a bit upset but I can only think of one member who went as far as physically threatening violence and being quite serious. He was a bit of a fantasist anyway

I might be the only one that likes Leaque. I like watching it and think it makes a great training exercise for Union. Teaches people how to tackle, break and offload which is so much more of the modern game than the 2003 kicking game.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Formula 1
    I might be the only one that likes Leaque.
    Not to worry old chap...not everyone can be perfect...we need the occassional odd ball such as yourself to make things interesting :
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.