Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edv
    Coulthard did drive the Red Bull around on the streets of downtown Austin in front of a lot of spectators, which I expect was the actual marketing purpose of the trip.
    The jaunt on the unfinished track was probably an amusing afterthought.
    First lap of the track is a good enough reason to go there , paved or not .
    Makes as much sense , and as much spectacle as driving on a frozen lake . Maybe more spectacle , as there might have been a few more spectators , as they wouldn't be freezing thier nuts off .

I mean , why not , eh ?
    It got all of us talking about it .

By the way , are you the edv from the Holmes site ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRaiden

Okay genius, now that we've gotten past the initial douchebaggery, how about understanding my question this time? Let me expand and simplify it for you, for your convenience. What's the point of doing a marketing run on an unfinished track where the F1 car can hardly move, and there's not a soul in sight? I don't think this would make sense to even the most creative and brightest marketing managers.
    Relax there Captain Buzzkill.

People are just tryin' to have a little bit of fun.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    When DC was driving on the paved sections of road, I was expecting tumbleweeds to roll across the view.

I can't imagine the car enjoyed that little run one bit. It would have been funny if they put some big, knobby air-bag tyres on it and raised the ride height for the dirt/construction site.

Oh, another thought. Maybe RBR should set the thing up with uneven sized tyres and a huge wing over the cockpit for a speedway style blast - imagine that!

Ok, I will stop now - but having the ways and means to fool around with an F1 car out of it's natual environment would be a great thing.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Okay genius, now that we've gotten past the initial douchebaggery, how about understanding my question this time? Let me expand and simplify it for you, for your convenience. What's the point of doing a marketing run on an unfinished track where the F1 car can hardly move, and there's not a soul in sight?
    What's the point? I first read about this in the Illawarra Mercury. If it's even made the pages of a provincial two-bit rag then it's mission accomplished as far as publicity is concerned.

I don't think this would make sense to even the most creative and brightest marketing managers.
    Red Bull company figures :: Red Bull

Considering that Red Bull sold over 4 billion cans of modified fizzy drink and returned a profit of €3.785bn, I think that the results prove your claim wrong. Obviously it did make sense to their marketing managers, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gloomyDAY
    Relax there Captain Buzzkill.

People are just tryin' to have a little bit of fun.
    Thanks looneyLAY. I just don't think it's fun. Problem?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    What's the point? I first read about this in the Illawarra Mercury. If it's even made the pages of a provincial two-bit rag then it's mission accomplished as far as publicity is concerned.
    Many better ways to spend their money and resources and still do an awesome job of marketing their product IMHO. Besides huge multinational companies pay crazy money to get their products placed on the front page. And while it may look good in pictures, certainly didn't look good in the video. Or maybe I just have way too high expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    Red Bull company figures :: Red Bull

Considering that Red Bull sold over 4 billion cans of modified fizzy drink and returned a profit of €3.785bn, I think that the results prove your claim wrong. Obviously it did make sense to their marketing managers, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.
    I didn't say ALL of their marketing plans suck. I thought only this one was poor, and I don't expect it to trouble the 4 billion figure any time soon. And just because their marketing managers have done brilliantly before, doesn't mean they can't fail once.

I wouldn't buy their canned beverage or think, "Ooh, Red Bull is cool," just because they drove their F1 car on dirt. They could have done it like at Yeongam, after the first layer of tarmac was laid, when Chandhok drove it. At least you get to see the track. Here, there was nothing to see, just an F1 car struggling at 20 mph.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Ok Captain, you've made your (somewhat laboured) point. Time to move on?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFamousEccles
    Ok Captain, you've made your (somewhat laboured) point. Time to move on?
    Not that I don't appreciate advices from complete strangers on whether or not I should continue posting my thoughts on a public discussion forum, but I believe I've already moved on.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    The more they open exposure to the track, the more interest will grow. As things progress I'm sure we will see a lot more about the track and more videos and such floating around.

Smart money would be to get some of the NASCAR drivers previously in F1 out on the track in a car once it's paved. Better yet a seat swap type thing where they take both an F1 car and a NASCAR car to the track. Time for JPM to make a run or two.

Liked 252 Times in 68 Posts
    Looking forward to the first race there, may even head over for it.

I think a good marketing move to run the Red Bull car there, keeps the locals happy and therefore the local voters. If you don't keep the locals happy you may end up with a circuit with some severe restrictions.

Ray
    2007 Australian Rally Champion Driver Class P3
    2011 Australian Rally Champion Codriver Privateers Cup and Premier League,
    2014 Australian Targa Champion Codriver Late Classic