Page 57 of 72 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: New car news!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    So they built an engine 20 pounds lighter, despite the fact that they're going to get a weight handicap? Either the people at Lotus are really dumb (which I doubt), or you're making these handicaps out to be worse than they really are.
    Ah, but that's twenty pounds that the race engineers get to decide where they want it to go.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBell
    @BDunnell Comparing the fans of F1 to IndyCar fans is an apples and oranges comparison. F1 hasn't done to itself what IndyCar did to itself in the last 20 years. By comparison, F1 is very stable and has been able to pull itself out of the nosedive it occasionally finds itself in. IndyCar didn't and has been a smoldering wreckage since. If F1 fans have to endure a 12 year civil war that bitterly divides it's fan base and becomes stagnant series that uses the same spec car for nearly a decade, then it's time to compare notes. Different life experiences will create different perspectives.
    Thank you for a very eloquent response, DBell. I may not agree with all that you say, but at least you frame your arguments more than properly.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck34
    If you want to shift this debate to the need for competition between chassis and engine manufacturers then I'll be right there on your side. I do think that is what this series needs. Next year qe get part of that with three engine manufacturers. Hopefully we will also get aero packages in 2013. And hopefully the league takes a fairly "hands off" approach to regulating them during the season (although I think I'll be disappointed on that)

But this debate so far has been about SPEED plain and simple. That is a very different argument than the one you are making.
    I agree completely.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    Ah, but that's twenty pounds that the race engineers get to decide where they want it to go.

Gary
    I believe it will be placed on the engine, so some limitations. Still probably better than the alternative.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    So, lots of pics and a few videos floating around from testing today. But, what exactly are they shrouding here?

panther site

Cooling arrangements?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Who's the cute Panther engineer?
    \"If you have a problem with what I\'m doing, talk to me, get it all out, then shut up.\" - Juan Pablo Montoya
    \"I tell ya, if my name was \'Juan Pablo Montoya,\' everyone would just kiss my ass!\" - David Letterman
    \"That was a mugging.\" - Tommy Kendall \"You can\'t spell \'fiasco\' without the FIA.\" Those are shark gills, not shark fins! Get it right!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My god that car is ugly, and what a dreary livery.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic
    Who's the cute Panther engineer?
    Mechanic Anna Chatten.
    I read it on the internet, so it must be true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
    So, lots of pics and a few videos floating around from testing today. But, what exactly are they shrouding here?

panther site

Cooling arrangements?
    The only thing I saw that could be thought of as a "shroud" was a blanket they had over the engine. They do that to warm it up. Blanket with a salamander blowing hot air over the engine. But maybe you're talking about something else??
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    not to continue to beat a dead horse - but I STILL can't get into this new car - it just doesn't look right - the "hips" are just too much - it just does not look "fast" or "right" - I know that is my opinion only but I am trying really are to like this thing.....

On the bright side - great to see so many cars out testing so early. I actually like the solid red Target car - anything solid seems to help hide those hideous side pods......