Page 24 of 72 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: New car news!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixent
    Modeling data does not mean a thing since it can be manipulated to whatever the manufacturer wants it to be. I hate to say it but they should just run the current Dallara POS if next years POS can't get up to speed. I knew it would be junk because it looked like an 83 Eagle.
    Yep, I do computer modelling for a living and I know that, in certain circumstances at least, it can be manipulated to produce interesting results. The key to any modelling is validation through real data, and it looks like they're being found out.

Can't we just get out some '95 Reynards and Lolas and start again?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    So it doesn't look that good and it doesn't work that well either... right.

Strange how Dallara who have had years of experience with Indycars seem to be having teething problems, while when Panoz, who had no experience in Champcar, introduced their new car it just seemed to work out of the box.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The reports indicate the car isn't as fast on high speed ovals as expected (IMS) and the handling isn't quite as nice as desired. Funny how some who typically trash the IRL have made that into "major issues". Or the car is "junk". Really?

So the car isn't as fast as expected. Contrast the number of miles to massage the old car to its performance level with the very limited number of test miles on the DW12. Personally, I would have been surprised if the new car was on the mark in every area out of the box. That would be highly unusual for any racing vehicle.

Even F1 steams with gazillions of bucks and hours of sim time rarely get it right the first time and often miss by a lot.
    I read it on the internet, so it must be true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite9185

Strange how Dallara who have had years of experience with Indycars seem to be having teething problems, while when Panoz, who had no experience in Champcar, introduced their new car it just seemed to work out of the box.

Agree. They should call Elan to make more cars and problem is gone. They look like modern race car should.
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [quote="anthonyvop"]They wanted a car that was Cheaper, With bulbous Side-pods, a rear bumper a Cockpit big enough to fit Hulk Hogan, have it be able to take multiple engine types....and then be esthetically pleasing by committee...........

Camel is a horse designed by a committee as expression goes.
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite9185

You should say that to Paul Tracy. He has been less than complimentary about the DP01. I also seem to recall issues with the pit lane speed limiter coming on during one of the early races with the DP01.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yeah and the fuel tank leak on the DP01.... Generally, nobody was very complimentary about the quality of that car if I recall correctly....

That being said, there is no excuse for the car not working right at the biggest track which holds the biggest race and has the most testing - it should have been right at Indy from day 1....

And sorry, but it DOES matter - the car needs good press which means it needs to be faster or at least NOT SLOWER out of the box.... This car needs to be right and so far it is not meeting that expectation.....

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The DP01 had plenty of fit and finish issues, but the car did work as advertized. In fairness, wouldn't the speed limiter problem have been cosworth's software problem, not the chassis?

NASCAR pimped the COT more than a virgin walking sunset blvd... it was intended to be slower. I don't necessarily have a problem with it being slower on ovals, my concern is the reports that sound like it's as much of a handling problem as it is an aerodynamic problem. It needs to be driveable. I can't imagine why thet thing would have balance problems.... it looks more inherently unbalanced than the old Dallara. They're not running the wing and sidepod combinations they first showed at Indy. Maybe they should test the more traditional roadcourse sidepods that were shown?
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum
    The reports indicate the car isn't as fast on high speed ovals as expected (IMS) and the handling isn't quite as nice as desired. Funny how some who typically trash the IRL have made that into "major issues". Or the car is "junk". Really?

So the car isn't as fast as expected. Contrast the number of miles to massage the old car to its performance level with the very limited number of test miles on the DW12. Personally, I would have been surprised if the new car was on the mark in every area out of the box. That would be highly unusual for any racing vehicle.

Even F1 steams with gazillions of bucks and hours of sim time rarely get it right the first time and often miss by a lot.

Oh the voice of reason and calling upon history! Blasphemy! ...big ol' grin...

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not comparing, and I don't want to start anything so please don't over react, Indycar is all that is left. But.............I remember the DP01 was released and was racey right from the start. It had its problems, but they were resolved. The end result was a car that was sexy and quick enough to set new records.

Indycar should be able to get this thing right! They have the engineering and technology available. This isn't alot of these guys first rodeo!!

Just get the job done!!
    :champion:car Continuing since 1909
    http://www.youtube.com/user/champcar4ever