Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: F1 going to Sky

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    the death of F1 in the UK, casual fans (who make up a lot of the 6+ million viewers on the BBC) won't go to Sky. Most the of he hardcore fans (me included) won't buy Sky sports just to watch F1, unless I can just but the races at a reasonable rate. people won't understand where the race is when they watched it one week on BBC and the next one isn't there and will just turn off. If you can't follow the season most people will not bother.

With all thats going on in the UK regarding anti Murdoch/News International/Newscorp who in their right minds thought moving F1 coverage to Sky was a good idea. I'm sure the coverage will be top notch, but who will see it? I suppose there is the option of going to the pub to watch it, but they'll be showing football whenever there is a clash.

The BBC figures will suffer, Skys figures will be crap and interest in F1 in the UK (which is fantastically high at the moment, partly due to BBC) will plummet. A dark day for F1.

BBC might spend a lot, but they get the viewers, they do a great job and they sell to other regions. They'll still have to come up with an alternative (expect re-runs of Antiques roadshow or live snooker) and no-one wil see it anyway.

Stupid, stupid idea
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    I would far rather ITV, Channel for or even 5. Hell even something on the freeview package like Dave or something would be preferable. I just want to be able to see the races when they happen and not pay stupid money to a bunch of crooks for the privelige for something that was a protected sport not so long ago.

Bernie true to his word as usual, so much for never letting F1 coverage go to pay TV. Morons. This will hurt them in the long run
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It's just a shame that Sky have got the rights, but I suppose the BBC have got half the races - that's good. I could see it going that way - Sky have got the money.
    So much for Bernie saying he will never take F1 to Sky.
    I wonder who'll be in the Sky F1 team.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is going the same way as football, within 2 years Sky will have sole rights and then up package costs to make more profit, losers? Joe Public.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    I'll be very interested to hear reactions from the teams and, perhaps more importantly, their sponsors.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    The BBC figures will suffer, Skys figures will be crap and interest in F1 in the UK (which is fantastically high at the moment, partly due to BBC) will plummet. A dark day for F1.
    I agree. I am not surprised in the slightest that this should have happened in the face of all moral arguments relating to Murdoch's companies — after all, if there is one person on a par with the Murdochs in terms of ethics, it's Bernie. The two/three are exceptionally well matched, and, frankly, welcome to one another.

No doubt the home viewing figures in the UK for the Sky coverage will be pathetic, as they are for the majority of Sky's football matches. I certainly wouldn't be paying anything to them if I lived in the UK.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Oh, and what a load of PR bo11ocks are to be found in that BBC report, which does not deserve application of the word 'journalism'.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I dont think sponsors give a damn. They are not really in it for the UK, their market is worldwide, and they are there for association really, nnot much else.

What does matter is the people who maybe used the BBC feed in their countries, from Asia, Australisia etc? What is happening with them?

I would never give News Corop a penny, so a viewer lost here, but I don't pay a tv licence either as I dont have a tv so can't moan too much about the Beeb.

It's truly awful timing, would probably have been released earlier but has obviosuly been kept back due to the recent scrum. Corp want the biggest events and Bernie has sold to the highest bidder.

Beeb are having to keep the licence fee down (in a deal I reckon pushed thru by Murdoch) so can't get more revenue for things like this.

Proper sellout stuff, and an extra little aside to what is already going on in hackgate!!
    The mighty Imps will rule the world
    http://bikeracenews.com

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Whitmarsh said last month: “Our current contracts require that F1 remain on free-to-air and the teams, through FOTA, are clearly going to safeguard their business interests and the interests of the fans in this regard.”
    Let’s see if FOTA do what they said they would and safeguard the interests of fans who want to continue watching F1 as they can this year without paying over £600 to do so.
    So much for keeping F1 free-to-air | Comment
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Well, there we are then, back to the bad old days of pre-historic F1 coverage.

I wont be buying SKY just to watch the sport I follow.

A spectacular shot in the foot for F1.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.