Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Jaguar Returning to Its Le Mans Heritage?

I hope more than anything that this comes to pass! And if they do it, I hope they do it right.

First Porsche, Now Jaguar Planning Le Mans Return?

It was less than a month ago that we reported Porsche was planning a return to Le Mans prototype racing in time for the 2014 season, and now we have news of yet another automaker considering doing the same. This time ‘round its Jaguar, which is reportedly considering a return to the sport since exiting it in 1991.

AutoSport is reporting that Jaguar’s new owner, Tata, is keen to see a return to the prototype racing series with an all-new LMP1 car.

Jaguar is no stranger to the sport, with no less than seven victories at the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans under its belt--the most recent coming in 1990 when its XJR-12 (pictured above) cruised to victory.

The only official word is that the automaker is monitoring developments in motorsport around the world, and would be keen to make a return to some form of global motorsport.

Of course, Jaguar would certainly not want a repeat of its relatively dismal performance in the fast-paced world of Formula 1.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Provided you could upgrade the safety aspects of the car, I think it would be neat in Jaguar built a "modern" D-Type to go racing with.
    Even if it didn't place all that well, the car would I think still gain more publicity than the winner would.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Jaguar belong in sports car racing. It's where they should have been while they were failing at F1.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!