Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does the Kentucky Speedway really need a Sprint Cup race?

NASCAR - JENSEN: What Now, Kentucky?

By now, the whole world knows about the debacle at Kentucky Speedway on Saturday.

By Bruton Smith’s own estimate, as many as 20,000 fans never even made it into the track for the inaugural Quaker State 400, which was won convincingly by Kyle Busch.

Eager race fans by the thousands spent six hours or more in traffic only to be turned away when they arrived at the track because there weren’t enough parking spaces to accommodate the crowd. Others simply turned around in frustration.
    Some of you who have been around on this forum for a long time may remember the vociferous debates that occured on whether or not NASCAR should award a Sprint Cup date to the Kentucky Speedway. I used to argue that the yahoos who built this track were doing it just to make a lot of money and didn't deserve one. I think Saturday night proved that point. This track should stick with the lower level series that it's been running since it's beginning. I say, move the race back to Atlanta where the State of Georgia put a lot of money into improving access to the track. Maybe when SMI and Kentucky finishes building the ifrastructure for track that deserves a Sprint Cup race, then maybe they will return.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The problem with Nascar is that there are so many 1.5 mile tracks that produce boring racing. Kentucky is just another but, I thought it was one of the better "cookie cutters" I've seen this year. It's a very interesting layout for a mile and a half track and I do think it deserves a date on the calander.

But I really wish NASCAR would branch out some more, only 2 road courses is a joke.

4 Restrictor plates

6 short tracks

2 road courses

7 flat tracks

17 intermediate

In my opinion that isn't a lot of diversity and the truth is that the intermediate tracks generaly generate the most boring races.
    But, they are in the "heartland" of NASCAR and must remain on the schedule. So say many...
    Kyle Busch #18 M&M's Toyota Camry
    Dario Franchitti #10 Target Honda Dallara DW12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Actually, I find that the 1.5 milers produce some of the best racing. They're long enough for the cars really to stretch their legs but short enough to not need those damnable restrictor plates.

But the question is, does a track (whatever kind it is) that doesn't even have enough parking spots, and an area that won't invest in the infrastructure to get the cars in and out in a timely manner, really need to step up to the major leagues, or should they stay with the minors.

The fans have proven they want the race, now its up to SMI and the local and state governments to either get busy or get off of the pot. Bruton Smith is proving in North Carolina that he will twist arms.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    Actually, I find that the 1.5 milers produce some of the best racing. They're long enough for the cars really to stretch their legs but short enough to not need those damnable restrictor plates.

But the question is, does a track (whatever kind it is) that doesn't even have enough parking spots, and an area that won't invest in the infrastructure to get the cars in and out in a timely manner, really need to step up to the major leagues, or should they stay with the minors.

The fans have proven they want the race, now its up to SMI and the local and state governments to either get busy or get off of the pot. Bruton Smith is proving in North Carolina that he will twist arms.
    ok the point on the 1.5 milers aside, I pretty much agree with you Lee Roy. (1.5 mile races usually bore the hell out of me until the last 50 miles, but hey, so does Pocono).

In this case, if the old owners owned the track, I would really be standing up there nailing them...but I suppose I expect more out of a Bruton Smith enterprise. I am shocked they let things get that far out to lunch. 107000 seats should be supplemented by the parking for them. There is no town around the track, there is no reason parking wasn't built to accomodate. Bruton added all those seats and it bit him in the @ss.

That said, if anyone can fix it, it is Bruton. I think he if gets the parking solved, the traffic getting in is fixed. If cars have a place to go, you can keep things moving. He will need to get more roads out to the Interstate, and maybe a road that takes cars further down I-71. I have driven by there a number of times...and 2 exits would be enough if they are designed with extra lanes...but one extra lane on the Interstate with ordinary exits wont work.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think NASCARs secret plan is to build one cookie cutter and just change the logos on the side so people on tv think it's differnt race tracks lol. I refused to watch kentucky, Atlanta is normally a good race and Kentucky always sucks.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've never been to the track but friends of mine have been. They went to the truck races there and said that conditions for access were terrible even with smaller crowds. One friend predicted a nightmare if the track got a Cup race someday. Her opinion was validated on Saturday night.

Two other friends were at the race on Saturday. They said people who had tickets for seats in front of them finally arrived with 60 laps to go. They also said there were far too few restroom facilities as well as parking spaces. They called it a nightmare.
    "You win some, lose some, and wreck some." - Dale Earnhardt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared East
    . . . . . and Kentucky always sucks.
    This was the first Sprint Cup race at Kentucky.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1329
    I've never been to the track but friends of mine have been. They went to the truck races there and said that conditions for access were terrible even with smaller crowds. One friend predicted a nightmare if the track got a Cup race someday. Her opinion was validated on Saturday night.

Two other friends were at the race on Saturday. They said people who had tickets for seats in front of them finally arrived with 60 laps to go. They also said there were far too few restroom facilities as well as parking spaces. They called it a nightmare.
    NASCAR should give SMI one more chance at Kentucky for a Sprit Cup race and if next year isn't greatly improved then tell Bruton Smith to pick another of his tracks to move the race to or lose the date/event.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I think it's pretty safe to say that there will be major changes at the facility next year. They will be fine.
    Kyle Busch #18 M&M's Toyota Camry
    Dario Franchitti #10 Target Honda Dallara DW12

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 00steven
    The problem with Nascar is that there are so many 1.5 mile tracks that produce boring racing. Kentucky is just another but, I thought it was one of the better "cookie cutters" I've seen this year. It's a very interesting layout for a mile and a half track and I do think it deserves a date on the calander.
    Completely agree. Most cookie cutters quickly bore but Kentucky has a distinctive layout and concrete to boot.