Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 382 Times in 178 Posts

Subaru's new World Rally Car?

While we still wait for Toyota's announcement of a return to the WRC, this article from US webzine, Motor Trend hints strongly that Subaru plans to produce an all new WRX, which will form the basis for their return to the top level of WRC.

Subaru Impreza, WRX Models to Diverge - Motor Trend
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    hmmmm....the photoshop is a bit extreme i think.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The thing looks like a toy car, but I would be anctious to see Subaru entering under their own banner (not Prodrive) someday.

Is there an actual Toyota announcement awaiting btw?

Liked 382 Times in 178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Josti
    The thing looks like a toy car, but I would be anctious to see Subaru entering under their own banner (not Prodrive) someday.

Is there an actual Toyota announcement awaiting btw?
    As the article states (in bold type) this is just one artist's idea of what the car might look like - I agree he has a pretty vivid imagination!

OK, I may have been overly confident when I started this thread nearly a year ago.

http://www.motorsportforums.com/wrc/...wrc-plans.html

But I have heard of some developments, this year:

1/ One Toyota test mule was built and tested by a WRC driver here, late last year - source is a well-connected friend

2/ VW finally announced their plans to enter WRC. In one of the first Toyota WRC articles in Best Car magazine their contact at Toyota stated that Toyota knew VW would enter WRC and that from a marketing point of view they would (be forced to) follow their No1 European rival (in the B segment).

3/ Several months ago on TotalRally Colin reported that the FIA had just rejected Toyota's request for a waiver to use the new Yaris as their WRC car. Apparently, it was too short.

There is obviously a lot more than just WRC talk going on at Toyota, so I suppose I'll remain optomistic. Will that announcement be made next week, next month or next year?
    I don't know.
    "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I wouldn't be too surprized if Toyota decide to enter WRC under the Subaru brand and Le Mans with Toyota or Lexus. I think it make sense to promote road going model in WRC while showcase the environmentally friendly hybrid technology in Le Mans.
    Waiting for Subaru to come back to be :champion:

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    After eleven years of watching Japanese car magazine artists guess what the next Impreza will look like I can't take it seriously. Not that a return to the WRC for Subaru would be a bad thing if they can get the car to work and keep it somewhat relevant to the cars they sell.

The Impreza these days is a bit large for the WRC; maybe a new model using the Toyota FT86 concept? Subaru is supposed to get something out of it.

Liked 40 Times in 12 Posts
    On the short list for the WRX’s powerplant is a turbocharged 1.6-liter boxer
    Given the current WRC Regs, I suppose one could read quite alot into that statement in the article....
    https://www.facebook.com/BritishRallyMedia/

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    nothing new there subaru already had a 1.6 turbo i think it was called the TS

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T
    nothing new there subaru already had a 1.6 turbo i think it was called the TS
    This wasn t a factory car,it was a Austrian kit installed at normal aspirated subarus from the Greek importer.There is no existance of such a model worldwide.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    This would be fantastic news if it goes ahead. Then, mitsubishi would have to come back, and restore age old rivalry:-)
    Ha'wey Hamilton, bring the WDC crown home and the beers are on me :up: