Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thierry Boutsen

Quote Originally Posted by wewillbebest
    just Remember Mansell had already said he was retiring at Silverstone in July and I think he started negotiating with Williams and Renault pretty soon after that, so Boutsen just jumped before he was thrown out.
    The story, as recounted in a motoring magazine after Nigel had gone to Indycars, is that Nigel decided to retire after Silverstone in 1990 because he was being jerked around by Ferrari over equipment. He felt that Alain Prost was being given preferential treatment. He actually had a clause in his 1989 Ferrari contract that made him the #1 driver if Gerhard Berger left the team. When Berger left to join McLaren, Ferrari wanted Alain Prost, but in order to get Prost, they had to pay Mansell a LOT of money to buy out his #1 driver clause. Mansell was supposed to get equal treatment, but did not feel he was getting it.
    At the same time...Williams was trying to sign Ayrton Senna away from McLaren. They had already signed Adrian Newey from Leyton House to be chief designer, and were determined to get a top-line driver into the car to satisfy Renault's need for a championship. Williams offered Ayrton a massive amount of $$$, and he actually signed a contract in September 1990 in Frank's private jet in France. The contract, however, had a clause in it stating that either party could nullify the contract before 12 midnight on the same day. Senna told McLaren and Honda that he had signed for Williams, Honda promptly came up with more money, and Senna told Williams he was staying with McLaren and Honda.
    So now Williams was a team in need of a replacement driver, Thierry Boutsen having already been told he was not being retained. At the same time there was a driver leaving Ferrari...Mansell duly sold himself to Williams for a lot of money (I bet Nigel knew exactly how much money Williams was going to pay Ayrton, and made sure he was paid most of that). This indirectly led to the infamous 1992 incident where Mansell announced his decision to leave Williams at Monza; Williams was trying to cut his remuneration for 1993 because they felt they had overpaid for him, plus they had some French driver named Prost also under contract for 1993...
    The 1991/92 marriage of Mansell and Williams was a marriage of necessity, and the end was perhaps predictable.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    The whole Mansell joining Williams in 1991 then leaving the following year probably deserves a book to itself!!

I'm not convinced by the 'Mansell as victim' in this saga. Poor old Nigel 'pushed' out of Ferrari by former friend Prost, happily heading for retirement until Williams show that need him so much they offer him all he could ever ask for doesn't entirely ring true, but it's the way Nige tells it.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I'm not convinced by the 'Mansell as victim' in this saga. Poor old Nigel 'pushed' out of Ferrari by former friend Prost, happily heading for retirement until Williams show that need him so much they offer him all he could ever ask for doesn't entirely ring true, but it's the way Nige tells it.
    Could you elabortate?

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Could you elabortate?
    Well, I'm not NM's biggest fan to start with so bear that in mind. The whole "the world is against me but I won against all odds" tended to wear a bit thin.

Stepping out of the Ferrari at Silverstone and gathering the press to announce retirement was fairly typical drama and yet fairly soon after Nigel had signed with Williams. Retirement or negotiating ploy? By mid-1990 I'm not so sure Mansell was in demand. Sure he'd been a championship challenger but had come up short and his two years at Ferrari hadn't done much to cement his place among the best drivers. On the other hand Jean Alesi was seen as a rising star and very much in demand by both Wiliams and Ferrari. Perhaps Mansell saw that his time at Ferrari was over and other options limited. Maybe he knew Alesi would be taking his place in 1991, but it would be unlike Mansell to admit that publically hence "retirement".

Having missed the opportunity to sign Alesi Williams didn't exactly have their pick of drivers, but they did have an improving car-engine combination and Adrian Newey who, even then, was highly regarded for his work at Leyton House. Mansell maintains that he had retired but Williams persuaded him to un-retire with an exceptional offer that he simply couldn't turn down. That may all very well be true, but there's no doubt that Williams heading into 1991 were an attractive proposition for any driver so was much persuasion really needed?

The whole departure from Williams in '92 had as much drama as the 1990 retirement. I know Riccardo Patrese signed for Benetton because as far as he knew Mansell/Prost was a done deal and there was certainly a deal there for Mansell at Williams had he wanted it. The speed with which he gave his press conference (at Monza IIRC) announcing he would be leaving, then the Indycar deal announcement made me question the whole 'Mansell pushed out of Williams' version of events that The Sun ran with and which led to 'protests' outside the Williams factory.

Nigel, bless him, does seem to enjoy this picture of him having the world (Prost, Williams) against him but against all odds he battles through (the 'impossible' Williams deal, kicked out as WDC only to bravely head for the US and win there against all odds). There's an element of truth in it but for me he overplays these kind of things which detracts from his very real talent.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Well Mansell is my all time hero and I'm quite happy to concede that he is a complex individual. Certainly enjoys the limelight - still does if his sons', err, talents are anything to go by.

The me against the world thing, well, he had to battle against the odds earlier in his career. Never had enough more nor the right equipment and at Lotus Peter Warr once said "Mansell will never win a race as long as I have a hole up my arse".

Funny that Mansell should say Hamilton is spoilt in F1 Racing magazine. However, racing drivers tend to be selfish individuals. Senna was paid a million dollars per race to stay at McLaren and his approach in 1993 was halfhearted (and yet still won 5 races!). Not long ago I found out Lauda unretired because he wanted to save his airline.

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    On the other hand Jean Alesi was seen as a rising star and very much in demand by both Wiliams and Ferrari. Perhaps Mansell saw that his time at Ferrari was over and other options limited. Maybe he knew Alesi would be taking his place in 1991, but it would be unlike Mansell to admit that publically hence "retirement".
    Well when thinking about the sequence of events in the official review video, it's definately a case where everyone and their dog, except maybe McLaren, were jumping at the bit to get Alesi to sign for them. Williams state during the video that they did have a signed legal contract with Alesi for 1991. It obviously wasn't strong enough because by Portugal Alesi had signed with Ferrari, despite apparently having legal contracts with both Williams and Tyrrell, Tyrrell had quickly signed Modena "to avoid any speculation". Thus Williams was sitting with an empty seat and by Japan, 2 races later, Mansell was signed.

kicked out as WDC only to bravely head for the US and win there against all odds
    Well he was the first in a line of champions that Williams booted, within 5 years he was followed by Prost and Hill. As for winning in the US "against all odds", I've followed Indycars/Champcar/IRL/whateverthehellitscalledtoday since that 1993 and he went straight to the best sorted chassis, run by the importer of that chassis, with the most powerful engine in the business at the time, yet still only managed 5 wins from 16 races. The next year when Penske and Ilmor got their act together Mansell was nowhere.
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce D
    Well he was the first in a line of champions that Williams booted, within 5 years he was followed by Prost and Hill. As for winning in the US "against all odds", I've followed Indycars/Champcar/IRL/whateverthehellitscalledtoday since that 1993 and he went straight to the best sorted chassis, run by the importer of that chassis, with the most powerful engine in the business at the time, yet still only managed 5 wins from 16 races. The next year when Penske and Ilmor got their act together Mansell was nowhere.
    Mansell had to learn the tracks and learn about oval racing. It took him a while to 'get' short track racing. He crashed in Phoenix in testing and injured his back; cf. Milwaukee and New Hampshire - the latter possibly the greatest race on an oval.

But Penske were still a force to be reckoned with. The built their own chassis and could come up with updates more frequently than being a Lola customer. Not to mention the great strength in depth of the field. You had Raul Boesel, Bobby Rahal, Al Jr threatening race wins.

Penske may have had the dominant car of 1994 but Mansell was out-driving his, just like Montoya would in 2000 when Ganassi switched to the underpowered Toyota engine.

[youtube]9PaXLJJB2ho[/youtube]