Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    I think, as has been said, that it's simply a case of Boutsen being out of contract at the end of the year and, knowing that Mansell was signed, he 'jumped before he was pushed'.

I always had the feeling that Boutsen wasn't a great fit at Williams whereas Patrese certainly was. Riccardo was always very much a team player, and worked hard with Renault to develop the car/engine combination that was to prove so successful.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    When did Mansell announce his 'retirement'?

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    When did Mansell announce his 'retirement'?
    British GP 1990 when he retired having been on pole. He announced his retirement but no-one was surprised when he signed for Williams soon after. If only it had been Jean Alesi! He might have won 6 championships in a row maybe... ('92-'97)
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I think, as has been said, that it's simply a case of Boutsen being out of contract at the end of the year and, knowing that Mansell was signed, he 'jumped before he was pushed'.

I always had the feeling that Boutsen wasn't a great fit at Williams whereas Patrese certainly was. Riccardo was always very much a team player, and worked hard with Renault to develop the car/engine combination that was to prove so successful.
    I seem to remember from Mansell's autobiography that when he first tested for Williams it originally had Boutsen's settings with the suspension too soft. When stiffened to Mansell's liking he was at least a second quicker, IIRC.

When this test took place I cannot remember.

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I always had the feeling that Boutsen wasn't a great fit at Williams whereas Patrese certainly was.
    You're right. Something about that interview with Boutsen I mentioned before always struck me as strange, almost like he was frustrated at Williams, which is very odd given that they had a decent top 6 car at that stage and Ligier didn't have a top 10 car. Maybe he felt, wrongly as it turned out, that he had a greater contribution to the success of Williams than it looked.
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty
    British GP 1990 when he retired having been on pole. He announced his retirement but no-one was surprised when he signed for Williams soon after. If only it had been Jean Alesi! He might have won 6 championships in a row maybe... ('92-'97)
    Indeed. Jean Alesi, to me, is a guy that showed such huge promise and never delivered. I really felt that he was WDC material. What an underachiever. It's such a shame. He was incredibly quick with incredible reflexes but as the years passed by his speed just seemed to diminish and he became complacent.

Looked up on Wiki and Boutsen was on a two year contract.

Williams and Mansell were talking throughout 1990 but were stalled because Senna was using Williams to renegotiate with McLaren - hence Mansell's 'retirement'.

I know that Patrese had a strong working relationship with Williams (did Boutsen sense this?) but out of interest (Arrows?) how long did Patrese initially sign for Williams?

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    Indeed. Jean Alesi, to me, is a guy that showed such huge promise and never delivered. I really felt that he was WDC material. What an underachiever. It's such a shame. He was incredibly quick with incredible reflexes but as the years passed by his speed just seemed to diminish and he became complacent.
    Except that Alesi was a muppet. There's Motorsport podcast which validates this - Nigel Roebuck doing an impression of Flavio telling Alesi to pit during the 1996 Australian GP and Alesi completely ignoring the message and ran out of fuel! Roebuck says he has the whole recording of the debacle.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    I know that Patrese had a strong working relationship with Williams (did Boutsen sense this?) but out of interest (Arrows?) how long did Patrese initially sign for Williams?
    No idea I'm afraid wedge
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    just Remember Mansell had already said he was retiring at Silverstone in July and I think he started negotiating with Williams and Renault pretty soon after that, so Boutsen just jumped before he was thrown out.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Except that Alesi was a muppet. There's Motorsport podcast which validates this - Nigel Roebuck doing an impression of Flavio telling Alesi to pit during the 1996 Australian GP and Alesi completely ignoring the message and ran out of fuel! Roebuck says he has the whole recording of the debacle.
    You said it. He was a muppet. It was such a shame. I always felt that were he coached in the right manner he could have been a WDC once at least.