Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Iowa doubleheader next year?

AUTO RACING - INDYCAR: Iowa Targeted For Doubleheader In 2012

I'm not sure about this idea. Two races in two days is probably two much (hee hee).

What's a little troubling is that this confirms what a lot of us saw at Texas.
    "Risk sweetens everything" - Peter Revson (1939 - 1974)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I like the double header at Texas, it spices things up. But I don't want every race to start doing it.
    Kyle Busch #18 M&M's Toyota Camry
    Dario Franchitti #10 Target Honda Dallara DW12

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If I got to watch two races in two days like we just did, both paying full points of course, I'd be all for it. They aren't talking about what amounts to a split race like at Texas this year. I'd just be concerned how it would work out for the track and fans when it comes to ticket prices, etc. Motorcycle racing and series like GP2 and A1 GP have done the double header thing for quite a while.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    At the risk of things getting really gimmicky, how about double headers at tracks with different layouts? I'd love to see a weekend with a road and oval race (Twin Twin Ring Motegi?), or perhaps a double header at Watkins Glen and/or Infineon with a qualifying "sprint" race on the NASCAR layout and a main feature on the full track? Christ, get 'em to Brands, have a qualifier sprint race on the Indy circuit and use the result to determine the grid for the full fat GP circuit feature
    No longer active on this forum

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Lausitzring would be great for a euro swing at a double header!
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Iowa has a Road Course.

They could run the Oval on Saturday night and the RC on Sunday.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennybigb
    Iowa has a Road Course.

They could run the Oval on Saturday night and the RC on Sunday.
    The very idea behind the double header is to balance the number of ovals and road courses so that won't happen.
    “It used to be about trying to do something. Now it’s about trying to be someone.”

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In the last six weeks we pulled Pole weekend, Indy, Texas, and Iowa. The Iowa race is a great weekend with great racing. It is a far better race weekend overall than Texas and is well supported by the area. There are other markets that need attention more than Iowa. I don't see the need to mess with something that is working so well. I have been to Iowa the last three years and this year was the best yet.
    Its getting better :cool:

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    In my opinion this is a bad idea. It's gimmicky and cheapens the whole thing. In my view, the organizers should not screw with races that already work well. Instead, they should try to improve attendance at the less profitable venues or find better venues. It's seems like they're just trying to make a quick buck instead of having a long term vision.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't mind the double headers to fun things up a bit, but the random draw has to go. Do a 200/300 with reverse grid - give them a little longer in the 2nd race to overtake the field. That way it's still gimmicky, but at least "fair" to the contenders.