Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

4 cylinder turbos out, 6 cylinder turbos in (theoretically)

autosport.com - F1 News: F1 considers move to V6 turbos
    BBC Sport - Formula 1 delays introduction of ‘green’ engines until 2014

if this goes through, it's good news. Postponing it also makes sense. Let's hope all engine manufacturers (and some new ones) like this and keep supplying engines to F1. goodness knows what this means for PURE though, meanwhile it would have made sense to go for the same engine rules as IndyCar, so we could see Honda, Chevvie and Lotus units, but V6T is an improvement on V4T.
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    that'll be goodbye renault then i assume
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    So what - Renault have come and gone as they pleased in the past........
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    the autosport article seems to indicate that all current engine manufacturers have agreed to the change, in which case Renault should be staying. Renault were the only ones supporting the changes anyway, so the news that a compromise has been reached suggests renault have agreed to it.
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'd be much happier with sixes than fours! Sixes have a wonderful gatling-gun sound, and perhaps they'd be a bit more relevant to the manufacturers.
    Formula Platypus 2012

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    The sound of a 4 pot turbo egine is much nicer than a 6 pot turbo engine. But they both suck when compared to a howling V8, V10 or V12!
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    The sound of a 4 pot turbo egine is much nicer than a 6 pot turbo engine. But they both suck when compared to a howling V8, V10 or V12!
    Agree.

V12 Turbos.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    An N/A engine always sounds nicer than forced induction IMHO, but that said any engine capable of kicking out several hundred ponies will sound meaty enough so I don't think we need to fear.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    I was just reading this on the BBC F1 site. Great news as far as I'm concerned, and an unexpectedly sensible decision when taking into account the noises involved!

Four cylinder engines (with a couple of exceptions) sound about as boring as it is possible to imagine. V8s with flat-plane crankshafts just sound like four cylinder engines (with one exception I can think of), so that's just as bad. Any configuration six-cylinder engines sound great - flat-plane crankshaft or otherwise - so the new regulations get a big thumbs-up from me.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    I actually don't understand what the reasoning is behind specifying the cylinder configuration in the rules.
    The last time we had turbo engines, there were inline-4s, V6s and V8s and they all had their own distinctive engine notes.

According to Honda's research in the late 1980s, the ideal size for a cylinder in an Otto cycle engine is about 298cc (I did see the calculations once, hooboy!); therefore at 1.6L ideally the best engine config would either be an inline-5 or a V5. To the best of my knowledge, only Honda and VW-Audi have put V5 engines into production. I5s have been used by far more companies.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!