Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts

Ferrari - Does F1 need them?

So as not to pollute the BBC thread and with a respectful request that the admins move posts from that thread regarding this topic into this one.

Personally, I feel Ferrari need F1 but F1 would easily survive the departing of Ferrari.

Ferrari fans are first and foremost motorracing enthusiasts. This is what we all are. If McLaren left in the morning I would not stop watching F1. There may be some out there that would but on the overall I can't imagine the hit being anywhere near as much as some people imagine.

As I said in other thread, Ferrari needs F1 far more than F1 needs Ferrari.

Your thoughts?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm sure the usual unrealistic fans will claim that F1 will implode and fade into the dusk if Ferrari left but the fact is that it would be sad but F1 will go on regardless.

Who knows, it might make F1 better?

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Ferrari are an evocative brand, and I'm sure they play a part in tempting some people into following the sport. But if we continue to have racing such as we've seen recently, coupled with "Big" personalities, I'm sure F1 would survive without them.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Yes, F1 needs Ferrari. They are the only manufacturer to compete in every championship since inception and the only car company that sells road cars purely to fund its racing programs. F1 would carry on without them, but would be poorer for it. Don't underestimate the importance of Brand Names.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    They are ... the only car company that sells road cars purely to fund its racing programs.
    I'm not entirely sure this is true any more. Back in the days of old man Enzo yes, but now?

Other than that, Ferrari should be in an F1 world championship.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    As I said in other thread, Ferrari needs F1 far more than F1 needs Ferrari.
    That's always been my opinion. Ferrari, as a road car manufacturer, would not be the same without their association with F1. I believe Enzo built road cars as a means to an end i.e. to fund racing, so were Ferrari to walk away from F1 I believe their brand would suffer more than F1 as a result.

However, the sport would be the poorer for Ferrari's absence.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    I'm not entirely sure this is true any more. Back in the days of old man Enzo yes, but now?

Other than that, Ferrari should be in an F1 world championship.
    I saw an interview on telly about 2 years back and Monty confirmed that they still sell road cars to fund their racing programs. I think it is slowly shifting though.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    F1 would carry on without them, but would be poorer for it.
    This!
    Formula 1

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    The 458 vs. MP4-12C face off sums it up.

What the British reviewers agree is that the McLaren is the superior car but the Ferrari wins out on account of its greater emotional depth.

Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    The 458 vs. MP4-12C face off sums it up.

What the British reviewers agree is that the McLaren is the superior car but the Ferrari wins out on account of its greater emotional depth.
    True. But even though I am a Ferrari fan, I would much rather have the Macca. Can't wait to see the new Macca GT version race car in action next month