Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by odykas
    Bill Gates became rich by leveraging Micro$oft's monopoly.
    I wouldn't call this ethical.
    But Ody, do you honestly think the world would be a better place if, rather than Microsoft being a monopoly, we had 3 or 4 big players. Both you and I know how bad things were back in the 90's with regards to standards, compatability and so on.

I remember as a child in school we had machines running the BBC Acorn OS, DOS and other stuff I can't remember. Problem is that the skills you had from dealing with one OS didn't translate across to the other OS and at this point in time we didn't have the sheer number of people in the world to crank out the quality content for multiple OS's. Sure now there are millions of people in the world who can code and we have the internet so tOdy can code while parked in his Fazza @ Rascasse and send that code to someone in Australia in seconds so nowadays we can have a certain amount of fragmentation. But I would argue that if Microsoft hadn't done what they did that we'd be years and years behind and computing wouldn't be nearly as pervasive as it is now. If Apple had continued on as it did or if Linux had become the standard then we'd have arrived where we are now, but Microsoft was the standard and I think it's all worked out well.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    .... Sure now there are millions of people in the world who can code and we have the internet so tOdy can code while parked in his Fazza @ Rascasse and send that code to someone in Australia in seconds so nowadays we can have a certain amount of fragmentation. But I would argue that if Microsoft hadn't done what they did that we'd be years and years behind and computing wouldn't be nearly as pervasive as it is now. If Apple had continued on as it did or if Linux had become the standard then we'd have arrived where we are now, but Microsoft was the standard and I think it's all worked out well.
    It's worked out for us who are fortunate enough to be on top of the digital divide. Not sure about those less fortunate however.

He's made contributions to Africa, which needs perhaps far more assistance than the rest of the world. But I have to wonder what he has actually established for the population to sustain themselves.

Can't say that I'm buying into his co-partnership of 'The Pledge' with Warren Buffet. I think it's just another PR ploy as someone mentioned earlier. Which is easy to do if you've cornered the market on a product/service that is essential for the developed societies to function on; Gates (OS software), Buffet (transportation of products).

As odykas pointed out:

Bill Gates became rich by leveraging Micro$oft's monopoly.
    I wouldn't call this ethical.
    ... of which Gates was investigated for by the US gov for anti-trust violatioins.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Rubbish.

Bill Gates gave up biggest part of his fortune to dodge much smaller taxes?! You're a looney.
    You do realize that his "Charitable" donations are Tax deductible don't ya? And not just the checks he writes!!! Plus there is all that great PR. Ever notice how a lot of his issues with the Justice Department seemed to have faded away since he began so philanthropic?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    You don't have to donate to avoid taxes.
    Just move parts of your business to a tax haven country and the job is done....
    For US citizens your Income is taxed no matter where you live. You can't do like what some Brits do and move to Monaco

Liked 112 Times in 94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    But Ody, do you honestly think the world would be a better place if, rather than Microsoft being a monopoly, we had 3 or 4 big players. Both you and I know how bad things were back in the 90's with regards to standards, compatability and so on.
    I believe everyone (apart from Bill Gates) would prefer to have an many options as possible to choose from.
    As regards to compatibility issue, this wouldn't be a problem if the vendors used open standards and not proprietary solutions (like Micro$soft does to empower monopoly).

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    For US citizens your Income is taxed no matter where you live. You can't do like what some Brits do and move to Monaco
    I presume, as an advocate of allowing people to do everything they want, you have no objection to this?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I believe everyone (apart from Bill Gates) would prefer to have an many options as possible to choose from.
    As regards to compatibility issue, this wouldn't be a problem if the vendors used open standards and not proprietary solutions (like Micro$soft does to empower monopoly).
    But I think we've got choice now? Sadly not everyone wants to use standards, not even Google!
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I presume, as an advocate of allowing people to do everything they want, you have no objection to this?

Objection to what?

Do I object to the Government taking money by force from income generated outside the USA? You bet I do.

Do I object to people fleeing repressive taxation by moving to a more advantageous country? Not at all

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    Objection to what?

Do I object to the Government taking money by force from income generated outside the USA? You bet I do.
    Go round to the offices of the Government department responsible with your much-vaunted gun and DEMAND YOUR FREEDOM!