Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Race control did the right thing, there was enough crashes as it was.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Poor taste Daniel.

Back to the point though, Whilst I agree that part of the race yesterday was needed to be halted and it was, I do think they dragged it out longer than was needed. Di Resta and Hamilton agreed the race should not have been started behind, mainly because they had the most to gain, but it once again robbed us of the squabble into turn 1. Its one of the most exciting starts on the calendar, and we missed out IMO. Nevermind, once the race had restarted after the final SC, it was epic and a pleasure to watch.
    They stopped the race at the right time, I think everyone agrees on that. However, there is no point having wet tyres if drivers won't be allowed to use them so I really figure they should just do away with them.

Safety is always important but, between the safety car start and the drivers not being allowed to drive in fully wet conditions anymore apparently, then F1 should simply get rid of wet tyres if they won't be allowed to use them. I can imagine some of the greats cringing at what transpired yesterday. They are paid enough money to go out and race and they should do it in all conditions unless it is absolutely undrivable. I think most people would agree that after lap 30-31 the track was indeed very drivable.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    They stopped the race at the right time, I think everyone agrees on that. However, there is no point having wet tyres if drivers won't be allowed to use them so I really figure they should just do away with them.

Safety is always important but, between the safety car start and the drivers not being allowed to drive in fully wet conditions anymore apparently, then F1 should simply get rid of wet tyres if they won't be allowed to use them. I can imagine some of the greats cringing at what transpired yesterday. They are paid enough money to go out and race and they should do it in all conditions unless it is absolutely undrivable. I think most people would agree that after lap 30-31 the track was indeed very drivable.
    I think the other issue (besides the nature and intensity of the rain) is that the teams have thus far only had limited running (and for that matter, Pirelli too) on the wet tyres to understand how they perform.

I know that comes across as unprepared, but Pirelli were kind of shoe-horned in at almost the last minute, what with the usual FIA dithering on who to choose to replace the 'stones.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    I think the other issue (besides the nature and intensity of the rain) is that the teams have thus far only had limited running (and for that matter, Pirelli too) on the wet tyres to understand how they perform.

I know that comes across as unprepared, but Pirelli were kind of shoe-horned in at almost the last minute, what with the usual FIA dithering on who to choose to replace the 'stones.
    A reasonable enough point but they are the best drivers in the world so they should be able to adapt to the new tyres fairly quickly. The only way they will get used to them is by using them in race pace, not behind a safety car at 1/3 the speed.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    A reasonable enough point but they are the best drivers in the world so they should be able to adapt to the new tyres fairly quickly. The only way they will get used to them is by using them in race pace, not behind a safety car at 1/3 the speed.
    Such a silly statement. When the planks are hitting water then there is NO way of controlling them AT ALL.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Such a silly statement. When the planks are hitting water then there is NO way of controlling them AT ALL.
    Which is why it was right to restart under the safety car but after about 5-6 laps of that they were ready to go racing. The SC car was kept out so long that some drivers were able to go straight onto intermediates so no point in having wet tyres if this is going to be the case.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Which is why it was right to restart under the safety car but after about 5-6 laps of that they were ready to go racing. The SC car was kept out so long that some drivers were able to go straight onto intermediates so no point in having wet tyres if this is going to be the case.
    I agree that this wasn't good, but I think your whole argument is flawed.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Would IndyCar style jet dryers be of any use in this situation?
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I saw the spray but by the time the safety car went in it was dry enough for intermediates, that's my point. It should have come in sooner. No point in having wet tyres if it will always be too wet to use them before it is safe to race.

I long for the days of Donnington 93, Spain 96, Spa 98, Monza 97, Estoril 85 where they were told get out there and race, and no pussy footing crap.
    I second that. When I saw the torrential rain I was 100% supportive of a red flag, but the safety car situation in the restart, ridiculous. And I think that yes, now F1 will race only in dry and intermediate conditions. Today, everything is like that
    Formula 1

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Following the chat of the race we were saying "Where's F1Boat"?
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums