Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    I've done a bit of a search on google and it seems what Sir Stirling actually said was:

"I think he was lucky to get all those titles, frankly. He (Schumacher) got them because he was in the right car."

Which IMO is prety accurate, no-one is doubting that he had to drive the car to victory, something he did a huge number of times, but it could easily seen as lucky that Schumacher was in a car good enough to win a championship in at least 7 seasons, not to mention the years he nearly won against JV, Mika and Alonso, so you could argue that for 10 seasons Schumacher had a car capable of wining the title.

Thats not to say he is lucky to actually win, but its pretty fortunate to be in that position for that length of time during his career. He would not have won 7 titles if he'd ended up in a Williams or a MacLaren at the wrong time, but other than a couple of dodgy Ferraris in his early time there he nealry always had a car capable and rarely a teamate as good to challenge him.

It might have been a bit of a controversial statement for Moss to make, but its hardly inaccurate either
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Yes you can. There are lucky wins, and then there are wins that aren't down to luck. It can also be said that Schumacher was, perhaps, fortunate that in his era of domination the opposition he was up against wasn't as strong as the current crop.

Beyond that, you seem to have an undue problem with everyone whose every comment about your favourite driver isn't an undiluted paean of praise. Your attitude betrays a complete (and, if I may say so, rather juvenile) lack of knowledge and appreciation of history.

Oh, and your accusations of senility are offensive. There is no other way of describing them.
    I've no issues with people fairly criticising another driver or Schumacher. I myself have criticised him in the past for moves he has done and I don't agree with everything he has done either. I have issues with a driver, especially one that has never even won a championship, devaluing the achievements another driver worked so hard to achieve.

Schumacher broke his balls to achieve 7 world championships. The only person I see with a lack of appreciation is Stirling Moss. Schumacher has given a lot to F1 and has earned the right to some respect. He has earned it far more than Moss has as far as I'm concerned.

Regards the drivers of Schumacher's generation, that's an insult to drivers such as Alonso, Hakkinen, Raikkonen, Massa etc who all competed against Schumacher in his prime. I also see no evidence to suggest that the current generation of drivers is any better than those in F1 ten years ago. Schumacher simply blew them away in his Ferrari days. F1 always has the best drivers available in the world at all times and unless you can give me some evidence that the level of world talent can somehow vary over the course of a ten year period I’ll stick to what I said, there was no difference in driver talent between Schumaher’s generation and the current one, Schumacher was simply the best driver throughout the course of his first F1 career.

I'm also well aware of Moss's history and how good he was, but the point remains, he never won a world championship and couldn't do so against a guy 18 years his senior. Even after Fangio retired he still didn't become world champion. He came third in 59, 60 and 61. I'd also like to point out that only a few years ago Moss ranked Schumacher as 4th in the pantheon of greatest drivers - yet he still believes that he was lucky to win 7 WDC's. Contradiction? I think so.

Schumacher earned those wins by hard work and determination and doesn't deserve to have those championships devalued and belittled by a guy that couldn't even win one.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    I've done a bit of a search on google and it seems what Sir Stirling actually said was:
    "I think he was lucky to get all those titles, frankly. He (Schumacher) got them because he was in the right car."
    Which IMO is prety accurate, no-one is doubting that he had to drive the car to victory, something he did a huge number of times, but it could easily seen as lucky that Schumacher was in a car good enough to win a championship in at least 7 seasons, not to mention the years he nearly won against JV, Mika and Alonso, so you could argue that for 10 seasons Schumacher had a car capable of wining the title.
    Thats not to say he is lucky to actually win, but its pretty fortunate to be in that position for that length of time during his career. He would not have won 7 titles if he'd ended up in a Williams or a MacLaren at the wrong time, but other than a couple of dodgy Ferraris in his early time there he nealry always had a car capable and rarely a teamate as good to challenge him.
    It might have been a bit of a controversial statement for Moss to make, but its hardly inaccurate either
    Well, I disagree with that completely. Schumacher made his own luck by working with the Ferrari engineers to develop a car that could win WDC’s. It was his ability to pay attention to all technical details and to scrupulously inspect every single aspect of the car that won him his 7 WDC’s and ensured he had a brilliant car throughout those years. That’s part of what made him better than the rest. F1 is just as much about what you do off the track as what you do on it

I'll admit there was some luck, a little, involved to be able to get and attract the right people around him for to develop the Ferrari as they did but it was not luck that won him the 7 WDC's. It was his hard work and skill.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    And you're entitled to that opinion as it's a completely valid one. However the point is that what Moss said is also a valid opinion and is not indicative of mental illness. I dare say Sir Stirling knows a damn sight more about Formula 1 than anybody on this forum, including myself.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    And you're entitled to that opinion as it's a completely valid one. However the point is that what Moss said is also a valid opinion and is not indicative of mental illness. I dare say Sir Stirling knows a damn sight more about Formula 1 than anybody on this forum, including myself.
    How would Stirling know more about F1 than any of us exactly? He hasn't raced in F1 for 50 years. For sure he has contacts still but I doubt Stirling knows anymore about Schumacher and Ferrari than anyone that watched the TV Coverage.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    How would Stirling know more about F1 than any of us exactly? He hasn't raced in F1 for 50 years. For sure he has contacts still but I doubt Stirling knows anymore about Schumacher and Ferrari than anyone that watched the TV Coverage.
    A statement typical of the generation who believe that because they are given the forum for their opinion on websites such as this, those opinions must be as valid as those whose involvement in the subject in question has run rather deeper than just watching and commenting.

A statement typical of the generation who believe that because they are given the forum for their opinion on websites such as this, those opinions must be as valid as those whose involvement in the subject in question has run rather deeper than just watching and commenting.
    A statement typical of a man from a generation that makes assumptions about others involvement in a sport when he knows nothing about them

A statement typical of a man from a generation that makes assumptions about others involvement in a sport when he knows nothing about them
    I think we know quite a lot about Stirling Moss, do we not? Mark's statement above is entirely accurate.

I think we know quite a lot about Stirling Moss, do we not? Mark's statement above is entirely accurate.
    Indeed and I think we know quite enough about Schumacher to know that Stirling's statment about him being luck to win 7 WDC's is completely inaccurate. I've met Sir Stirling twice myself. While it may not seem obvious from my posts I do respect Sir Stirling and, lucid as he may seem, he genuinely has lost perspective on Schumacher. I don't know is it that he is jealous or what, but he certainly has a brain fade when it comes to the 7 time WDC. He also isn't consistent in his evaluation of him either.

Indeed and I think we know quite enough about Schumacher to know that Stirling's statment about him being luck to win 7 WDC's is completely inaccurate. I've met Sir Stirling twice myself. While it may not seem obvious from my posts I do respect Sir Stirling and, lucid as he may seem, he genuinely has lost perspective on Schumacher. I don't know is it that he is jealous or what, but he certainly has a brain fade when it comes to the 7 time WDC. He also isn't consistent in his evaluation of him either.
    I still think your assessment is typical of the more blinkered aspects of the 'fanboy' approach to F1 enthusiasm, sadly.