Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Out of interest, I expect you achieved this as there was always at least one track on the F1 calendar which also featured in the following year. Did you just use a single track comparison between years? If so which ones did you use?
    Yeah that is the case, I did compare over a single circuit on adjacent seasons, but the circuit changed according to situations like circuit configuration changing, weather, etc. I included tracks like Zandvoort, Nurburgring, Imola, Magny-Cours. I tried where I could to stick to the same circuit over the longest period so as to get a more accurate figure. So for instance I used Imola from 1982 through to 1994 because it never changed in configuration over that time. If I knew that weather was bad I either took the fastest practice time or compared lap times, but I focused mainly on qualifying times. In the case of 2006-onwards qualifying format I used the quickest time set in any of the 3 sessions.
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    And do we have anybody sufficiently computer-literate to plot them graphically for us? That would be the easiest way to compare them.
    I could plot my data into a graph fairly easily, as my calculations are Excel based. However, comparing between my version and that found in the book would probably be difficult, as the way Don describes it sounds like a much more complicated way of getting it.

For what it's worth, here's my graph:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How much has Monaco changed over the years? Could you use that track for comparisons sake?
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    There have been quite few changes to Monaco over the years - from Ste Devote to Portier has hardly changed; the Tunnel is longer but the alignment of the road is much the same. The chicane has regularly changed in position, width and severity. The loop round the swimming pool was added in 1973 or so. The; layout of what was the Gasometer Hairpin which is now the La Rascasse - Anthony Noghes section was changed when they somehow managed to squeeze a pit lane in. The roads will have been resurfaced and possibly re-cambered. Tramlines, lamp posts and some of the trees have gone. So, the same but not the same. There's a French language website with loads of photos from1927 to now - but I've lost the bookmark.

Thanks for the graph, it shows how progressive the increase in speed has been.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    In terms of best lap times, I would think the 2004 cars were quickest. In terms of outright speed, the turbo era of the 80's saw some rediculously fast cars doing almost 400 km/h at Monza!
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    In terms of best lap times, I would think the 2004 cars were quickest. In terms of outright speed, the turbo era of the 80's saw some rediculously fast cars doing almost 400 km/h at Monza!
    I only started watching F1 in 91, but if thats true then thats fantastic going to be pushing 400km/h at Monza. Bring that back.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy