Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Must have been decades since 'big names' drove at Le Mans.

The likes of Derek Warwick and Martin Brundle were journeyman/midfield F1 drivers but established success in Group C

Cars & manufacturers are more of the stars.
    I would describe Derek Warwick and Martin Brundle as rather more than F1 'journeymen'. And, from just prior to Warwick and Brundle's regular involvement, the likes of Jacky Ickx and Stefan Bellof could hardly be placed in that bracket either.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Yes, I think so. If the public is to be interested in sportscar racing, they need to have heard of some of the drivers. You and I may be very well aware of Kristensen's outstanding achievements, but they mean little to the average man in the street. And, let's face it, the great periods of sportscar racing in the past have always involved the participation of what we would now (in slightly vulgar fashion) refer to as 'big names'.
    Their loss basically That said I'm sure Sebastien Loeb will be in this championship, could he be the first person for a while to win two proper FIA championships?

I just hope that they allow the petrols to challenge for victories. I understand the point Peugeot and Audi are trying to make with diesels, but don't most people realise these days that diesels aren't tractors anymore? Now lets go back to having a crapload of RPM and engines squealing their nuts off
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    I would describe Derek Warwick and Martin Brundle as rather more than F1 'journeymen'. And, from just prior to Warwick and Brundle's regular involvement, the likes of Jacky Ickx and Stefan Bellof could hardly be placed in that bracket either.
    They were hardly household names in the 80s. Brundle and Warwick both acknowledged that their achievements in WSC helped them more than F1 did at that time.

Stefan Bellof - was he a 'star name' or massively overhyped by aficionados?

I think you're letting nostalgia get in the way.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Everyone always gets faster and better when they die. I'll admit that I don't know much of Bellof, but Henri Toivonen seems to be one driver who seemed to be crowned multiple WDC without ever taking a title.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

They were hardly household names in the 80s. Brundle and Warwick both acknowledged that their achievements in WSC helped them more than F1 did at that time.

Not at all.

Not at all.
    Then care to elaborate?

In recent decades and even Group C era - one of the greatest eras in endurance racing, the drivers were mainly average F1 drivers, leftovers and up & comers. Hardly star names and yet coverage was stuck on satellite TV in UK, gained immense popularity enough to frighten Bernie Ecclestone.

Then care to elaborate?
    I believe my definition of 'journeyman' in F1 terms is rather different to yours. I would apply it to someone like Johnny Dumfries as opposed to a Warwick or a Brundle.

I believe my definition of 'journeyman' in F1 terms is rather different to yours. I would apply it to someone like Johnny Dumfries as opposed to a Warwick or a Brundle.
    Stuck in midfield F1 car rut, in & out of F1 via WSC.

Rather subjective isn't it?

Hence: is an F1 driver driving midfield teams really a 'big name'? Would the average person on the street with the untrained eye care about an F1 nobody being successful sportscar racing?

Stuck in midfield F1 car rut, in & out of F1 via WSC.

Rather subjective isn't it?

Hence: is an F1 driver driving midfield teams really a 'big name'? Would the average person on the street with the untrained eye care about an F1 nobody being successful sportscar racing?
    I wasn't actually talking about that period in the first place, but rather earlier.

I wasn't actually talking about that period in the first place, but rather earlier.
    But Group C rarely had 'big names' from F1 and yet its popularity was said to have rivalled F1 which peaked with the Silk Cut Jags.

And what about GT1 cars of the mid-late 90s? Surely the variety of manufacturers generated greater interest in endurance racing than in the past decade?