Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 304 Times in 214 Posts

[FIA + ACO] Welcome to the World Endurance Championship !!!!

Hi,

Officially announced today, and on june 9th(ACO Le Mans press conference next week)in 2012 there will be the FIA World Endurance Championship

Splendid news if the endurance will be at last recognized as the motorsport it deserves to be(not under F1)

More to be known next thursday...

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Excellent if confirmed. Le Mans is great but even better if it's part of a proper championship. I might change the forum name, or at least the description. Maybe pickems too.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    FIA press release http://fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pre...s/fia-wec.aspx

The Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) and the Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO) are proud to announce that a partnership has been defined to launch the FIA World Endurance Championship starting in 2012.

In establishing this new category of motorsport championship, both the FIA and ACO are keenly aware it needs to be a laboratory for innovation and the development of new technologies, allowing motor manufacturers to express, through the rigours of competition, their ability to be inventive and, as this is an endurance championship, to also highlight their capacity to produce high quality and safe machines and components.

The calendar of the first season in 2012 will mirror the existing Intercontinental Le Mans Cup series of which the 24 Le Mans race will be the highlight.

In order to symbolically seal this historic partnership, Jean Todt, President of the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile, has been asked to start the 79th edition of the 24 Hours Le Mans race at 15.00 on June 11, 2011.

Further details concerning the new championship will be outlined by Mr Todt and Mr Plassart, ACO President, at a press conference to be held at 10.00 on June 9 at the Musée des 24 Heures du Mans.

Jean Todt said: “I am delighted to welcome the return of the FIA Endurance World Championship, especially with a promoter like ACO. I am also very pleased to have a legendary race like the 24 Hours of Le Mans as part of it.”

Jean-Claude Plassart said: "I am very happy we have reached this agreement with the FIA, a partnership which underlines the rightful place that endurance racing has in motorsport, something we have been promoting since we first established the 24 Hours of Le Mans race in 1923. Jean Todt has accepted my invitation to start this year's 24 Hours race on Saturday June 11, a symbolic and visible way to celebrate our partnership."
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Great news, looking forward to it!
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Now we just need a set of rules that allow the cars to go back to being as awesome as the Group C monsters! But we all know the FIA won't allow that as it will start detracting from F1. They'll hinder it much like Group C was back in the early 90s and WRC in the mid 00s.
    2nd place in the big quizz challenge!

Liked 304 Times in 214 Posts
    By the way, Jean Todt from FIA will also make the race start

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
    Now we just need a set of rules that allow the cars to go back to being as awesome as the Group C monsters! But we all know the FIA won't allow that as it will start detracting from F1. They'll hinder it much like Group C was back in the early 90s and WRC in the mid 00s.
    Can't disagree with that. Saying that with Jean Todt now the President, and not being a mate of Bernie - there's a chance of other series making progress.
    We want a competitive series, with a good media coverage/package - that is fairly important, a good way to get more Manufacturers. I'm a little bored of Audi v Peugeot.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Great to see the return of the WEC

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    FIA press release 2012 FIA World Endurance Championship

...both the FIA and ACO are keenly aware it needs to be a laboratory for innovation and the development of new technologies, allowing motor manufacturers to express, through the rigours of competition, their ability to be inventive and, as this is an endurance championship, to also highlight their capacity to produce high quality and safe machines and components.
    Good to see. IMHO the WEC is a far more relevant "laboratory" for car manufacturers than F1.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
    LMP1 cars are already better than F1 cars, so I think the rules are OK.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    LMP1 cars are already better than F1 cars, so I think the rules are OK.
    Are you Dr Ulrich in disguise..???

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???