Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Senna Movie

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper_S
    It's a slightly biased documentary about a dead F1 driver; it is almost as far from the mainstream as you can get (maybe if it was in Portuguese with subtitles it would be further). Cinemas are businesses and find it had to make money as it is so it is very understandable that it is limited to largest population centres to maximise revenues and that means London with it's 10+ million people will get the lions share.

Like it or not rave reviews do not guarantee bums on seats... Subject matter does and I know if this was a slightly biased documentary about the life of Pele I would have no interest in seeing it... this will appeal mostly to F1 fans only... and even then I am a fan, I've followed F1 since the mid 1980's and have attended several races in that time but I have no interest in seeing it so I can certainly see why it is on such limited release
    I am aware that it's hardly the JLS film in terms of draw. However I didn't think that I'd be looking at a 2 hour drive to see it. I believe that it's going to a Bristol cinema at some point so that will probably be where I go, but with 120,000 people in Exeter, 260,000 in Plymouth and 420,000 in Bristol, I think that it's hardly unreasonable to think that one of them might have a cinema showing it during the opening week. Even moreso when you consider that it's showing in Bath, which has a population of about 85,000. (Although these figures are from Wiki so probably a bit vague).

Incidentally my local Vue cinema did recently show TT:3D (albeit for one night only), as did one in Plymouth, that's one of the main reasons that I expected I might get to see this film locally.

Edit: Oh and I went to see Attack The Block about 2 or 3 weeks ago, there were less than 20 in the cinema then and I'd hardly call it unreasonable to expect that a niche film like this would attract a few more people than that.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    I've already got a big screen at home but sadly it comes without the following features: an idiot on his cellular, an idiot farting next to you, a lazer pointer on the screen, a kid kicking your chair, a seat with white splotches all over it, etc etc etc :

I guess I should have bought the top of the range one to get those extra features :
    This isn't "Momma's Crazy Big House III", Certificate U. I'd expect a better class of audience at Senna
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I'd expect a better class of audience at Senna
    I dunno, I'm going....
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barryfullalove
    Edit: Oh and I went to see Attack The Block about 2 or 3 weeks ago, there were less than 20 in the cinema then and I'd hardly call it unreasonable to expect that a niche film like this would attract a few more people than that.
    I do take your point but it is not quite the same as that movie is on general release so it was playing each day with several showings in many neighbouring cinemas nationwide so its target audience was spread out.

I suspect that the overall audience for it will still exceed that of the Senna Documentary.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper_S
    I do take your point but it is not quite the same as that movie is on general release so it was playing each day with several showings in many neighbouring cinemas nationwide so its target audience was spread out.

I suspect that the overall audience for it will still exceed that of the Senna Documentary.
    I don't doubt that. However my point was that you could easily end the run of a similar film (i.e one that's been showing for a few weeks and has reduced audiences) early and have 1 or 2 showings of Senna. The cinema itself would probably notice no real difference in numbers, if anything a few more from the niche film.

That apart, we're talking about a nationwide chain that probably has cinemas in nearly every city in the country and it's showing a film in 6 of them, 4 of which are inside the M25 and another that isn't that far away. FFS they aren't even screening it in Birmingham or Manchester. A limited release was expected, but not a strangled one.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barryfullalove
    I don't doubt that. However my point was that you could easily end the run of a similar film (i.e one that's been showing for a few weeks and has reduced audiences) early and have 1 or 2 showings of Senna. The cinema itself would probably notice no real difference in numbers, if anything a few more from the niche film.
    It's not about numbers for them, it's about profits. To buy a print of the Senna movie (or the rights to show the digital file) would cost far in excess of showing a film which they already have. They'd have to guarantee decent numbers to justify the cost. Hopefully if the limited screenings are successful the film will roll out to more screens.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    if anything the limited release will help it's chances as those who simply cannot bare to miss it will travel and help fill the few cinema's that are showing it thus artificially indicating how popular it would be nationwide and it might get a wider release...

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    As I understand it with cinemas almost 100% of the ticket price goes to the film makers / distributors. Cinemas make their money from the likes of popcorn, advertising and selling premium seating.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Cinemas around here seem to only be showing it on Tuesday 21st.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!