Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Senna Movie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    You can only imagine what might have been, nit just in the years where he was in a realtively uncompetitive Lotus and McLaren, to what might have happened after '94.
    That's the great unanswered question, isn't it? Williams were on the brink of a period of dominance: the '95 car wasn't exactly shabby and they took drivers' titles in the following two years. It's not inconceivable that we could have been talking of a 6-time champion. We'll never know.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    If it weren't for McLaren coming on the radio that day to tell him to slow down I believe he would have won that race and not crashed out. Up to that point in the race he completely humiliated Prost.
    Prost was catching, at one point sliced off 6 seconds in a single lap.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Tbh I don't think he was all that humble. He knew he was good and he showed it. Nothing wrong that of course.

Contrary to what some think, I did enjoy the movie, I just think that a bit of balance would have improved it.
    I agree, that's what I mean about the Prost scenario. A bit of balance there would have improved it. There is a 2h 45 minute version out there which also shows Prosts side of the story a bit more apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Prost was catching, at one point sliced off 6 seconds in a single lap.
    That's because Senna had slowed down. He then set two fastest laps of the race and on lap 67 he crashed out. Prost wouldn't have caught him nor would he have won the race had he not been held up by Berger for the first 54 laps of the race.

Senna was on a different level to him that weekend.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I agree, that's what I mean about the Prost scenario. A bit of balance there would have improved it. There is a 2h 45 minute version out there which also shows Prosts side of the story a bit more apparently.
    It does, but it also makes Prost look like a whining excuse making twit, and it made me want to punch his nose straight!!!
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    That's because Senna had slowed down. He then set two fastest laps of the race and on lap 67 he crashed out. Prost wouldn't have caught him nor would he have won the race had he not been held up by Berger for the first 54 laps of the race.

Senna was on a different level to him that weekend.
    Keep in mind that in later races/years he crashed into backmarkers in similar circumstances eg. 1988 Italian GP he crashed into Schlesser when Berger's Ferrari was catching because Senna tried to up the difference in power in the chicanes.

Regardless of slow puncture (or not - just why do people confirm things decades later?) driving on the limit means your are more open to mistakes.

Senna was far too engrossed in his own arrogance of seeking perfection at that time.

Yes you can look at 1992 but that was a more mature drive that didn't quite have the intensity of a raging bull.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Keep in mind that in later races/years he crashed into backmarkers in similar circumstances eg. 1988 Italian GP he crashed into Schlesser when Berger's Ferrari was catching because Senna tried to up the difference in power in the chicanes.

Regardless of slow puncture (or not - just why do people confirm things decades later?) driving on the limit means your are more open to mistakes.

Senna was far too engrossed in his own arrogance of seeking perfection at that time.

Yes you can look at 1992 but that was a more mature drive that didn't quite have the intensity of a raging bull.
    You seem to have discovered the curious habit that dead drivers have of getting even faster and even better once they pass away.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Wasn't that the great thing about him, though? Always seeking perfection, always seeking to improve and clearly he did improve.

If memory serves me, regards the Italian GP and I've only seen it once or twice the footage many moons ago, didn't Schlesser move across Senna going into the chicane when Senna was alongside? Would you not have caused that Schlesser's fault?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    FINALLY saw it last night... the audience was VERY quiet coming out the cinema, I guess just absorbing it all really.

I thought it was really well done. Pretty focussed and achieving what it set out to do. Moving, interesting... not as much Prost bashing as I expected either. I find it a bit wierd that I can't actually remember his death. I remember watching F1 with my Dad, I remember the teams and their colours, I remember all the drivers names of that era, I would have been about ten years old... but I just cannot remember his death.
    Everyone Loves a Slinky. :)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As a film, it was great, but it was not at all an accurate recollection of his 'war' with Prost. I think it kind of took the gloss off it - hence why I said it was a a great movie, rather than a great documentary. I think the best quote I've read in here is "You seem to have discovered the curious habit that dead drivers have of getting even faster and even better once they pass away."

Prost was, without a doubt, a better driver than Senna. Was he quicker? No, but in a similar way to Alonso today (against Hamilton and Vettel), he was a better driver. It is interesting when watching the highlights of previous races on the BBC site in the build up to a race weekend, Senna seems to collide or cause an accident in half of his races. He may very well have been a perfection, but rarely did his attempt for perfection result in that.