Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billiaml
    It would be interesting to compare the names manufacturers give their cars with the ones that people who drive them actually call them. Of course, many of them probably wouldn't be appropriate for this forum.
    Okay, okay, I'm coming out. I acctually call my wife's car Suzuki Sex. She calls it Suzuka for some reason. Junior calls it Lightning Suzuki as a reference to Lightning McQueen.
    Llibertat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billiaml
    I know what you mean about meaningless car names. Well, they'r meaningless to us but, to some marketing "geniuses" -- and possibly a handful of people in "focus groups." Then they add to it by adding extra letters after the names.

What was the e-mail circulating around a few years ago? DX = "Dealer Exaggerated." DL = "Dealer Lied."
    DA = "Dealer Adored".. Toyota has used all these names, Corolla DX, Corona DL..

Agree, this is part of marketing strategy, different segmentation needs different name. Nissan names some of their cars very simple and ear-catching like Pulsar, Sunny, Cedric, Micra, March. While they also create fantastic name for Skyline, besides their luxury division Infiniti.

Liked 40 Times in 18 Posts
    Mazda Proceed Marvie appeals :-)

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Names don't have to make sense though, do they? I mean, what's more important to the marketing crew is that it is a name that sticks. I'm pretty sure Rudy won't forget the name Sintra any time soon - even if this is for a negative reason, you still remember the car so, in my opinion, the name could be considered a success.

I like compact names which 'suit' the car, if such a thing can be said. Renault have come up with some good ones: Clio, Mégane, Laguna, Scenic, Fuego, Chamade (19) though, it must be said, previously they had a huge range of cars based on a numbering system which I still don't fully understand. I reckon it's just based on size but there are some grey areas along the numbering line if that is the case.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts

car names

OR they get names given by dealers and punters alike,such as "Landcrab" or "Wedge" or "Grandads"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    One of the difficulties with car names is that they have to work in different markets. Vauxhall used to use different names to GM's European brand Opel, but abandoned that strategy years ago. Move from model level to trim level and things can get even stranger!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Chevy Celebrity*

*most certainly you won't feel like a rock star

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    The Mazda Bongo Friendee van ranks up there as does the Mitsubishi Space Wagon and the Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear.

But I think that the winner goes to the: Isuzu Giga 20 Light Dump.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I love my Honda Life Step Van on GT5 even if it looks like a brick and has all the sportiness of Dawn French
    Spanish speakers will love the Mitsubishi Pajero

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    I had thought that the word 'Nubira' always sounded kind of like some exotic vixen...but that vision is now forever violated by that Daewoo P.O.S.

One of the more 'apt' names for a car that I've owned is the 'Gremlin'

As for pet nicknames for cars I've owned:
    -'Yellow Pig" - a 1962 Plymouth Belvedere
    -"Yellow Piglet" - a 1968 Datsun 510 4door
    -"Green Monster" - a 1968 Dodge Charger
    -"Red Rocket" - a 1993 Mazda RX-7