Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billiaml
    It's not just cars, though. I remember one of my neighbors having a pop-up camper called a "Nimrod." And where I come from, that's a euphemism for "idiot." Which is funny because it was appropriate.
    I have never figured out how that euphemism ever came about as to use Nimrod to signify an idiot, could only be the work of an ignorant dork who had no idea what the term was referring to.

NO, this is not pointing fingers at you.

Beyond that, the Japanese have a very different attitude towards naming items than the U.S.

I saw a good drama where a good/bad guy teams with a cop to kill truly bad guys.
    The good/bad guys nick-name was--- MickeyMouse.

The movies had subtitles, but as the good/bad guy dies to save the cop, the cop is crying out-- "MICKEY MOUSE-MICKEY MOUSE-MICKEY MOUSE... as his friend is dying.

I have a feeling if the brothers from the Italian Trinity westerns had been made in Japan, instead of being called Trinity and Bambino, it would have been Donald Duck and Goofy.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
    Beyond that, the Japanese have a very different attitude towards naming items than the U.S.

I saw a good drama where a good/bad guy teams with a cop to kill truly bad guys.
    The good/bad guys nick-name was--- MickeyMouse.

The movies had subtitles, but as the good/bad guy dies to save the cop, the cop is crying out-- "MICKEY MOUSE-MICKEY MOUSE-MICKEY MOUSE... as his friend is dying.
    Could be a case of lost in translation. There's a French film called La Haine (very good film, worth watching) that has a bit part character who, in one version I've seen, is subtitled as being called something like Mickey Mouse or Daffy Duck (can't actually remember which). However in the version I originally saw the subtitles (and, indeed, the audio) he's called Asterix, which makes much more sense.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Smart For 2 which is neither smart to drive on public roads and 2 people probably exceed the maximum carrying weight limit...

Then there is Toyota's Corolla CE, Camry CE, etc. which has to mean "cheap edition" since these are really stripped down on their options.

And who can forget the old joke about the Chevrolet Nova which in Spanish means "won't go."
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcot
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Smart For 2 which is neither smart to drive on public roads and 2 people probably exceed the maximum carrying weight limit...
    That's because the Smart For 2 is a great small car. I did rent one on a few occasions and let me tell you it is impressively good. Enough space for 2 adults and their luggage for 1 week, very good road dynamics. Very stable at high speed, you can drive it fast through bends, and it has impressive braking power. And you never get a negative impression while driving it.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And talking about Spanish markets, there's the Mitsubishi Pajero, named after some sort of wild cat in La Pampa ( I think) but in Spain Pajero means ****er....
    There WAS nothing like rallying, Superrally is a joke!

LW Master!!!:champion:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Donney
    And talking about Spanish markets, there's the Mitsubishi Pajero, named after some sort of wild cat in La Pampa ( I think) but in Spain Pajero means ****er....
    Ha'wey Hamilton, bring the WDC crown home and the beers are on me :up:

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Chevy Nova sounds not so good in Spanish-speaking countries... Soulds alike "Chevy no go".