Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Pirelli's or DRS

Some of the people in the DRS thread were whinging about how it's not real racing when someone gets past because of DRS. Well I'm wondering what they're thinking about the Pirelli's now? Today we've seen overtakes where the person being overtaken has no chance to fight back because their tyres are shot. Personally I think both have been good, but I wonder what some of the uptight purists think?

Is it cos tyres is black?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    i think they've both worked out ok, in isolation either look that they would have made for more passes, but the combination of the both adds to it also. Don't forget KERS also has an impact on these things. unlike many, i have to say i'm not anti any of these three things. The best people still end up at the front
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    I'm no purist, I like both. I think too many people moan about DRS being too effective without considering that it might be other factors too. eg. in Turkey there were a few passes made on pace alone long before the DRS activation zone. There was also some good passing around the rest of the track. IMO the passing we've seen is mainly down to the tyres, and I like that. F1 had grown so stale that I think anythign that brings in excitement is good for capturing new viewers, even if it isn't the true type of racing that we want to see.

I'd also argue that if we want 'real racing' we can also get rid of all wings and aerodynamics...oh and run same engines, and one tyre type.,..in fact lets just put the drivers in go-karts.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Agree with the both of you. Whilst I've made it well known that I don't like Pirelli, I think the tyres have made for more overtaking, but in comparison to last year it's no less artificial than DRS. I think the DRS haters need to admit that their only reason for disliking DRS is that it slept with their wife/girlfriend and move on with their lives.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Some of the people in the DRS thread were whinging about how it's not real racing when someone gets past because of DRS. Well I'm wondering what they're thinking about the Pirelli's now? Today we've seen overtakes where the person being overtaken has no chance to fight back because their tyres are shot. Personally I think both have been good, but I wonder what some of the uptight purists think?

Is it cos tyres is black?
    I'll bite but I don't know that I qualify as an uptight purist.

Back in the days of yore, the tyres from different manufacturers were often the difference between winning and losing. One tyre was good at one track whilst lousy at another.

Now, its about the rules and the stage of a tyres life being the difference between winning and losing. It all depends on what your feeling is about tyre management as a critical component of race craft.

Is the best car/driver package winning each race and would the result change if the tyre rules were removed and tyre numbers were limitless?

Budget smudget. I say the teams should use as many tyres in a weekend as the driver needs to get the job done.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzars
    I'll bite but I don't know that I qualify as an uptight purist.

Back in the days of yore, the tyres from different manufacturers were often the difference between winning and losing. One tyre was good at one track whilst lousy at another.

Now, its about the rules and the stage of a tyres life being the difference between winning and losing. It all depends on what your feeling is about tyre management as a critical component of race craft.

Is the best car/driver package winning each race and would the result change if the tyre rules were removed and tyre numbers were limitless?

Budget smudget. I say the teams should use as many tyres in a weekend as the driver needs to get the job done.
    I actually agree with you. If a team can't afford to run that many sets then they shouldn't be in Formula 1.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    The teams get the tyres for free.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    The teams get the tyres for free.
    now, but back in the day if they wanted to use more tyres they paid for it.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Honestly both the DRS and the Pirelli's are crap.

The first is a crappy gimmick the later are crappy quality tires for this level of motor racing.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Aaah, Ioan is upset that Ferrari aren't winning :
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.