View Poll Results: would you like to see them beat by 107% in practice and qualifying

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

3 75.00%
  • no

1 25.00%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Another parameter for a driver to concentrate on...

"...under braking, the throttle input can now be no larger than 10 per cent of its maximum. ..."

The only wat to enforce this is to monitor the throttle telemetry of every car and if one is found to momentarily fluctuate to even 11% while under braking... infraction! Oh dear
    Another sporting regulation not fully thought through, another reason why my interest in the sport has diminished more in the last two seasons than during the last ~20 years that I've been following it
    I would disregard the first Autosport article (link in the OP) as it is factually wrong.
    High level sources have revealed that the FIA has written to teams informing them that from this weekend's Spanish Grand Prix they will no longer be allowed to continue flowing gases through the engine when the driver is not on the throttle.

It is understood the directive to the teams tells them that, under braking, the throttle input can now be no larger than 10 per cent of its maximum. Some outfits had been gaining aerodynamic benefit from keeping the throttle flow at 100 per cent under braking.
    These two paragraphs disagree with each other. If the driver is not on the throttle, the throttle is closed: 0%. My understanding of the typical blown diffuser implementation is that the engine maps are altered to retard ignition and maintain fuel flow under the closed throttle condition. This fuel exits through the exhaust as a hot gas, which energises the diffuser airflow. This is all done to maintain a consistent centre of pressure between open-throttle and closed-throttle states; it's got nothing to do with braking. To the driver, this process is invisible.

The second article makes more sense:
    However, a directive from the FIA clarified that teams were only allowed to use the throttle settings for increasing torque, not for 'aerodynamic performance' - which effectively banned them from keeping gases pushing through the diffuser off-throttle.
    Perhaps this directive is the result of a "green" concern.
    Remember this quote from the Australian GP:
    Renault blown floor uses 10% more fuel
    “Since the RS27’s fuel consumption rate is extremely good, the Renault-equipped teams were able to burn 10% more fuel than normal during the Australian Grand Prix without running out of fuel, therefore giving more exhaust flow to its partners using the blown diffuser” a Renault release revealed.
    This means that approximately 10% of the fuel consumed by Red Bull and Renault is spent sticking the car to the ground rather than propelling it, something that doesn't appear environmentally conscious.

I am not sure that this new directive will reduce consumption though as presumably the Renault teams will simply run richer engine mappings to gain some power and reduce engine temperature during the race — unless carrying 10% less fuel at the start of the race is of greater benefit.
    You are here.

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    So in other words, they are essentially clutching while standing on the gas and the brakes to keep the exhaust flowing over the aerodynamics, generating downforce when it would normally be diminishing.
    I think it was the engine mapping that was doing it rather than the driver feathering the throttle under breaking but I could be wrong.

It's funny how the FIA decided to leave the double diffusers alone in 2009 and only ban them after the season and then in 2011 they decide an in-season ban is the way to go with blown diffusers. And by funny I mean pathetic.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    It's funny how the FIA decided to leave the double diffusers alone in 2009 and only ban them after the season and then in 2011 they decide an in-season ban is the way to go with blown diffusers. And by funny I mean pathetic.
    To ban the DD would require a complete floor re-design = money down the drain. Banning an engine map will simply result in the Red Bulls having to keep the DRS closed on some corners during practice and qualifying.....
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Need to ban those red bull cheaters before vettel scores too many points to lock up the WDC, or do some stripping!!!

First vettel cheats by drinking fake booze on a podium......and now this!!!

Mac is just as guilty as their engine has been sounding very strange on the brakes, so continuing in the historical tradition of the FIA, they should be also be severly punished. They probably stole the idea from red bull anyway

No, seriously..........and it is always better to wait to mid-season to upset the apple cat with such nonsense.
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penagate
    Perhaps this directive is the result of a "green" concern.
    Remember this quote from the Australian GP:
    Renault blown floor uses 10% more fuel

This means that approximately 10% of the fuel consumed by Red Bull and Renault is spent sticking the car to the ground rather than propelling it, something that doesn't appear environmentally conscious.
    I suspect you're right that part of the motivation is wanting to appear more "green". But it is nothing more than appearance - in terms of burning fuel to generate downforce, the EBD is small beer compared to the fact that they're driving round in cars with a Cd of 0.9.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    they are only banning the trick electronics to provide exhaust gases to the blown diffusers when there is no throttle, not the blown diffusers themselves, i really don't see that it is that much of an issue, albeit some teams have had the system since last year and most have it now, it would seem sensible to write it out of the rules for next year, but i don't think banning it will be that much of a problem for the teams.

it would appear it will hit the renault teams hardest (Red Bull and Renault specifically) but in all likelihood it will only allow the lowest teams to gain half a second or so on the field when they all lose the system and perhaps bring Red Bull slightly closer to the field.

its nothing like the Double Diffuser situation (apart from being about diffusers) as you couldn't just remove the offending part, it was about redesigning large parts of the car and it had already been subject to protest and deemed legal. It was also a loophole that had existed for a number of years previously that no-one had used before, this is very much new technology developing on the fly.
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gloomyDAY
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91475

This is garbage. Seriously, what's the point of being innovative if you're going to get kicked to the curb? F1 needs to establish what kind of series it is because I'm getting tired of watching Formula 3 Deluxe.
    The eternal paradox that is innovation and reducing the speeds of the cars.

Blown-over diffusers are not being banned. The ECU will be revised so you won't get ignition retardation. In other words it will work as they did in the mid-late 80s when DF would switch on/off at corner entry.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I'm against penalising teams for being innovative.
    Formula 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    To clarify, there is currently no "ban":

Then last night, almost a week later, [Charlie Whiting] wrote to the teams again saying that the clampdown was on hold and that it would be discussed at the next Technical Working Group meeting, due to take place the week after the Canadian Grand Prix.
    Source: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/0...ust-clampdown/

So we'll have at least 3 more races with blown diffusers (Spain, Monaco and Canada); and even then it's not necessarily set in stone that there'll be any changes.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    just ridiculous
    you can't argue with results.