Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445
    Liked 827 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum
    I was impressed with Baguette's performance all month. It is a shame the media (particularly TV) seemed to ignore him.

Overall, the media seemed to miss what may be the biggest story of this years Indy. This was the year for the on-off and part time rides, the little "guy", young drivers, and the failure of the "super" teams to figure much into the results.
    I really hope that the sponsors have seen it! And that they can give him some more races! Last year his real debut year was good average results! But did a nice qualifying and saw here in forum "Baguette is going to do it" at the end of such a classic! I was very impressed and shows he has lots of potential but like always, money money and money

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What is the podium like there? I can't seem to find a picture of the full podium but only of Dan Wheldon, do they do a full podium?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They don't do a full podium (first three places), just the winner. "Victory Lane" is so tight there, once you bring the car in plus the team plus the wives and sponsors, there's no room for anyone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jackmart
    What is the podium like there? I can't seem to find a picture of the full podium but only of Dan Wheldon, do they do a full podium?
    Podiums only belong in Road Course racing. they do not belong in ovals, just IMO
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahFan
    Some one agrees with me

The devil must be wearing a parka
    Hey, we have been in agreement more often than not lately. I guess the rapture is closer than Camping thinks.

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Great race overall, and one of the best 500s in years IMO.

I didn't get the watch the race until about 1am. I got up and watched the Monaco F1 (which was a great race as well) and recorded Indy since I had things to get done. We spent the evening at a friends who had a big party and watched the NASCAR race (snoozefest, glad they had plenty of beer).

Got home around 1, slightly buzzed, thinking I'd just watch some highlights before I logged on or turned on something and go the "spoiler" results. I ended up watching the entire race.

Gutted for Hildebrand. Most likely the adreneline rush got to him. It was like watching a train wreck. One second I'm thinking a rookie is going to win Indy... and he just kept driving in deeper and deeper... and at that point it was clear he was in the marbles and it was over. I'm sure he's going to hate life for a while, but worse things could happen.

As for the "side by side" ads, they do get annoying and seem to take forever sometimes, but it sure beats when they cut away, only to come back and replay a great pass or something.

And having lurked on this forum now and then to catch up on Indy news, I know how merciless you guys can be with DanicaFan. But I'll give him a lot of credit for loyalty. And for that reason alone, I'll remind everyone that a lot of your favorite drivers probably didn't make the top 10. It wasn't misfortune... Danica owned everyone behind her!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Well that was an interesting weekend of racing all ways around. Saw lots of bad strategy and lots of mistakes. Always watch til the end kids....

Hildebrand had a brain cramp. Simple as that. He had a few seconds...and if he backed right out of it going into 4 to tip toe around the lapped traffic, he would be the winner today. The lapped car had every right to be there...and it isn't his job to make life easy for the leaders although protocol would dictate he should whenever he can help by being out of the way long before the leader arrives. In this case, he had no place TO go......
    I think the right thing for JR to do would be to back off a little in the short chute, and push the apex of turn 4 a little farther down the track. That way he'd have less force pushing him up towards the wall, and wouldn't sacrifice much in the way of exit speed from 4. I suspect that is what most of the more experienced drivers would do.

Disclaimer: All my experience was on road courses, I've never driven an oval.
    "Risk sweetens everything" - Peter Revson (1939 - 1974)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am wondering, this was the one hundredth anniversary of the day of the first five hundred; will there be as big a lead-in and celebration for the actual one hundredth race in a few years on?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
    I am wondering, this was the one hundredth anniversary of the day of the first five hundred; will there be as big a lead-in and celebration for the actual one hundredth race in a few years on?
    Bob, an astute observation. They have been calling this the "Centennial Era" at the speedway. So next year may very well be groundhog day as far as all the promos and activities. As far as I can tell, this year, and next year, will be the 2 key 100th Anniv races that drivers want to win for that feather in their cap.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFalzone
    Bob, an astute observation. They have been calling this the "Centennial Era" at the speedway. So next year may very well be groundhog day as far as all the promos and activities. As far as I can tell, this year, and next year, will be the 2 key 100th Anniv races that drivers want to win for that feather in their cap.
    Next year is not the 100th running. It will be in 2016.
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken