Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    WRC.com being stupid again:

"Like the absolute professional that he also is, Malcolm Wilson refuses to apportion blame to Latvala for the suspension breakage that cost him the rally win, but the truth is that these things don’t tend to break on their own."

I think our friend Antony would disagree. But so does the person they quote as evidence:

"As one senior engineer explained: 'You can easily build a car to resist most types of impact. But the problem is that this inevitably costs weight, which is why Safari cars are always so heavy, for example. So it’s a trade-off: if the driver wants a car that is light enough to be competitive, he will have to accept that there are some things he can’t hit.

“But equally, teams sometimes have to accept that they have made their car too vulnerable in the pursuit of performance. It’s a question of where you draw the line - and what makes that judgment more complicated is the fact that no two impacts are ever quite the same. An impact that a component might comfortably absorb in one direction could break it in a slightly different direction.”

Conclusion: the only thing you can practically do is design a car to resist the most common types of impact and tell your driver to avoid hitting anything, something that Loeb obviously remembered when he saw that bull all those years ago. And he obviously remembered it again this year, as his Citroen was bomb proof despite the severity of some of the stages.'

So, why exactly is it Latvala's fault, again? What if Ford simply designed their car badly - it wouldn't seem to be the first time! Also, why does the person they quote talk about Safari cars as if they are still made? How old is the quote? Silly wrc.com.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicpanda
    WRC.com being stupid again:

"Like the absolute professional that he also is, Malcolm Wilson refuses to apportion blame to Latvala for the suspension breakage that cost him the rally win, but the truth is that these things don’t tend to break on their own."
    Maybe you can tell me how to make suspension link so strong that it survives the impact with a big rock at 120+ kph.
    Satakymppi, oikee yks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Juha_Koo
    Maybe you can tell me how to make suspension link so strong that it survives the impact with a big rock at 120+ kph.
    Mystical forces:-) I guess it doesn't matter how strong you make a car or what you make it out of, if you hit something hard enough, its going to break.
    Ha'wey Hamilton, bring the WDC crown home and the beers are on me :up:

Liked 2,842 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Sometimes you have time to avoid a big stone. Sometimes you dont. Obviousily JML hadnt time to avoid impact. The result was crusual to him of course.

Was the stone still there on the road waiting for the cars to come?
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Is this case ongoing? Or has it been closed? The roundabout thing, I mean.
    Ha'wey Hamilton, bring the WDC crown home and the beers are on me :up:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluuford
    World Rally Championship - Results - Rally Argentina
    It is between split 6 and split 7.
    Jari Matti -1.9 up on loeb next split +0.8 down and at Finish -2 sec
    Jari-matti -6.5 on Ogier and next split -5.5 up on Ogier and finally -6.7 up on Ogier
    So, compared to Ogier he gained approximately 2.5 sec in two and half minutes but there he lost approximately 1 sec, that is around 3.5 sec
    Compare Mikko and Ogier
    Mikko was approximately sec or 2 faster than Ogier in Split 6 and final sections but was 5.2 sec slower than Ogier on split 7.
    Compare Mikko and Loeb
    he had approximately the same speed in split3, 4, 5, 6 (lost only 0.4 sec) and in final split he was 5.5 sec slower than Loeb. and only 1.8 sec slower than Loeb on final section. So, it is just around 4 sec.
    Except for Mikko. Nothing indicates that the citroens gained anything. JM was +2 to Loeb at finish and continued a loosing trend.

Liked 69 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gard
    Except for Mikko. Nothing indicates that the citroens gained anything. JM was +2 to Loeb at finish and continued a loosing trend.
    I look at the video and see Citroen gaining more than 3 seconds cuting off the roundabout.

By other words, its obvious that if Citroen would had gone by the inside of the roundabout (lik Fords) would had made at least 3 seconds more on the stage.

We should look at that place exactly, not the whole stage.
    Three gears are enough!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Juha_Koo
    Well, quite. I'm not sure if you're asking me rhetorically or not...

Liked 40 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tfp
    Is this case ongoing? Or has it been closed? The roundabout thing, I mean.
    closed

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    I look at the video and see Citroen gaining more than 3 seconds cuting off the roundabout.

By other words, its obvious that if Citroen would had gone by the inside of the roundabout (lik Fords) would had made at least 3 seconds more on the stage.
    It's irrelevant because Loeb's 1 minute penalty didn't fit the crime so he still beat Hirvonen by 59 sec. Loeb is clearly the deserved winner! Case closed.
    Supporting Ogier in the WRC & Ferrari in F1 & Ducati in MotoGP.