Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New book about the first Indy 500

Hi, this is Charles Leerhsen, the author of Blood and Smoke: A True Tale of Mystery, Mayhem and the Birth of the Indy 500, to be published on May 3 by Simon and Schuster. It's a deep and hopefully exhilarating dive into the early car culture, the origins of auto racing and, of course, the first 500-mile sweepstakes, conducted 100 years ago this spring. "History comes alive," says Kirkus Reviews, "a fascinating tale." You can learn more about the book at my website, but I'd be happy to try and answer any questions here.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    "Drivers sometimes threw wrenches or bolts at each other during the race in order to gain an advantage. The night before an event the racers would take up a collection for the next day's new widows. Bookmakers offered bets not only on who might win but who might survive. Not all the participants in that first Indy 500 lived to see the checkered flag."

This does not seem to be very encouraging.

"...the first track in the U.S. built expressly for auto racing."

That is, of course, assuming one chooses to ignore the Lakeside track in the San Diego area that was opened in April 1907.

Out of curiosity, did you read Fastest of the First (Belcher Foundation, 2008) and, if so, how does your account differ?
    Popular memory is not history.... -- Gordon Wood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why not encouraging?

I read the Fastest of the First and found it to be quite a good book, as I say in Blood and Smoke. The question of how my account differs would take a book to answer, but it focuses on the car culture circa 1910 and the early auto racing scene, as well as that first 500-mile race. It also has much more detail than the Belcher Foundation book, much less about Fred Belcher and is considerably funnier.

First, I have ordered the book, although I have done so despite some reservations that I might have gotten based on what seems to be emphasized in the blurb that I read on your site. Of course, I usually have reservations when journalists attempt history and usually come up with something more akin to a chronicle, one often lacking in any real substance. However, see comment number four.

Second, did you have an automotive historian familiar with racing during the era vet the book? If so, who was it?

Third, any documentation for this? "Drivers sometimes threw wrenches or bolts at each other during the race in order to gain an advantage." Or this? "The night before an event the racers would take up a collection for the next day's new widows. Bookmakers offered bets not only on who might win but who might survive." Are those antecdotal, retrospective rememberances, examples of journalistic imagination? How often was "sometimes" and are specific, substantiated examples provided? Being somewhat familiar with automobile racing during this era, just curious as to what I seem to have overlooked, missed or simply did not pay attention to in myresearch.

Fourth, while I am obviously skeptical, especially given the usual fare that somehow gets printed, if this will create an interest in the era and then possibly lead a few hardy souls to begin studying the history -- the History and not the legends, folklore, and mythology -- of automobile racing during this era, then all to the good. At any rate, looking forward to reading the book if for no other reason than seeing what groans it will solicit along with the head nods of approval.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    While there just may be a third category of information in this book--besides things you know already and things you don't believe--I applaud you being open-minded enough to buy a copy.

What more interesting is there in this book prior from the books published by the author..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sorry, I don't understand your question.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodandSmoke
    While there just may be a third category of information in this book--besides things you know already and things you don't believe--I applaud you being open-minded enough to buy a copy.
    Whenever possible, I am more than willing to support any effort to put a book on automobile racing history on the bookshelves of as many folks as possible. Given the inherent problems of getting much of anything into print these days, good to see anything on this topic being published these days by someone other than a micro-press.

Ignoring the fact that you avoided answering any of my questions, I have another one: Who thought up the title for the book? You or the publisher?

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodandSmoke
    I'd be happy to try and answer any questions here.
    Heh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mmm...the prosecution doesn't rest. The sources of all the information in the book are noted in the book. The utterly intriguing story of how the title came to be will be revealed in my memoirs.