Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Liked 825 Times in 373 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    I believe You. But You know it's so rare car...
    Indeed a pity is a nice car with nice sound, but I follow their reasons too . Btw Mirek isn't their such one driving in your country thought I saw one on a pic this year..

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Yes, there is one of Petr Zedník. It's good one, he made a lot of development on it and made it relatively fast and reliable car, still not top though, especially the torque in lower rpm is still very bad.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is nothing to do with ypres, but the fiesta had one big problem and that was grip.We tried so many things to improve traction with the car.One big gain was changing the fireing order. That gave us so much more driveability and reliability.

Liked 1,368 Times in 711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by popie13
    This is nothing to do with ypres, but the fiesta had one big problem and that was grip.We tried so many things to improve traction with the car.One big gain was changing the fireing order. That gave us so much more driveability and reliability.
    Does the Puma S1600 have the same challenge with traction, and is it the same engine ?
    What did you change the fireingorder from and to ?

Liked 825 Times in 373 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland
    Does the Puma S1600 have the same challenge with traction, and is it the same engine ?
    What did you change the fireingorder from and to ?
    Could be but I don't think so, Duval did some nice things in JWRC with it, that's what never happened with the Fiesta it never got good results anywhere :-/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The puma got some results, but Super 1600 was at a early stage.The Fiesta should have been a big improvement, but it was not.
    The fireing order we think was an issue so that was changed,from a 1234 to a 1342.After remapping the engine was so more drivable, no more alt problems, radiators splits, the list went on.The down side in changing the order was the exhaust note,before on full chat the car sounded great,a bit like a rotary engine, but after it just sounded like a normal S1600.
    I could go on about them for hours, but the thread is about Ypres rally.
    I have competed in rallys since 1978 from small single venues to World rally, and i think you will be pushed to find a better ALL ROUND rally than Ypres in the World.
    If someone comes up to me and says they are thinking of either watching or going to compete there, i says just do it, you will never be disappointed.

Liked 3,789 Times in 1,684 Posts
    Martin Knudsen maybe on Ypres with Proton - http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=12133

Liked 314 Times in 170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by popie13
    The fireing order we think was an issue so that was changed,from a 1234 to a 1342.
    I can't believe that anyone would build a 4 cylinder engine with a 1234 firing order. The shape of crankshaft needed would result in an inherantly unbalanced design that would simply shake itself to bits as pistons 1&2 would both have to be at TDC while 3&4 were at BDC. The conventional crank design has 2&3 at TDC while 1&4 are at BDC. With this design the firing order can be either 1243 or 1342 and it makes no difference whatsoever to the way the engine performs which of these you choose, although it does affect the way the lobes on the crankshaft are arranged. If the engine was actually 1243 (not 1234 as you have said) and it was better after you made the changes then I suspect it was the remapping that improved it not any change in firing order.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    With the fireing order 1234, yes the car did shake to bits, thats where the unreliably came in, Alternators would fall to bits, Radiators would crack and nuts and bolts would loose their correct torque.
    The Fiesta could just about complete a ERC/IRC round, driven at 7/10, but on a Wrc event the amount of work needed at service on the second evening was too much to finish the third day.
    Dont worry we tried everything before we changed the order,because the Fiesta was homologated with a 1234 crank.

Liked 314 Times in 170 Posts
    I'm amazed - sounds like the guy in charge of the engine homologation was also a crank!
    (PS Should have typed 1&3 at TDC with 2&4 at BDC in my post above)