Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 645
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    950
    Like
    22
    Liked 126 Times in 59 Posts
    Welcome Anthony,

    I hope you'll find this forum as useful as we'll find your knowledge!

    Guys I can sympathise with Anthony here, I've just read the 1st part of the blog, and what he says was different with the cars......not him making excuses for his pace. I think we all know that 'M2' or 'privateer' cars all have differences on the 'world' or 'factory' cars. I had a stint at M-Sport on trial (I was offered a permanent position but I didn't take the job as it wasn't as interesting and exciting as I though it would be), and from the time there many people told me about the way things work with the M2 cars, but I just saw this as the offset due to the lack money being injected by that person, i.e 2.5 mill rather than 3.5 mill as Anthony explained. Did they not explain this to you Anthony?

    I don't think anyone expects privateers to be quicker than works drivers, and Anthony was certainly driving in a more competetive era of the WRC, but sometime people don't realise how different the Works and Privateer cars are. According to FIA rules (so i've been led to believe on this forum) all ECUs are the same this year, so how are they different, weight? Think i've asked this question in another topic but with no response.

    Again I sympathise with Anthony for spending all that money on a weaker, slower car, but I honest don't think any other supplier of car would be any different, Prodrive etc..

    Was they young Finn Hirvonen by any chance

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    germany, vogelsberg
    Posts
    1,027
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    thanks for this blog, keep it coming, im looking forward already

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Doon
    Welcome Anthony,

    I hope you'll find this forum as useful as we'll find your knowledge!

    Guys I can sympathise with Anthony here, I've just read the 1st part of the blog, and what he says was different with the cars......not him making excuses for his pace. I think we all know that 'M2' or 'privateer' cars all have differences on the 'world' or 'factory' cars. I had a stint at M-Sport on trial (I was offered a permanent position but I didn't take the job as it wasn't as interesting and exciting as I though it would be), and from the time there many people told me about the way things work with the M2 cars, but I just saw this as the offset due to the lack money being injected by that person, i.e 2.5 mill rather than 3.5 mill as Anthony explained. Did they not explain this to you Anthony?

    I don't think anyone expects privateers to be quicker than works drivers, and Anthony was certainly driving in a more competetive era of the WRC, but sometime people don't realise how different the Works and Privateer cars are. According to FIA rules (so i've been led to believe on this forum) all ECUs are the same this year, so how are they different, weight? Think i've asked this question in another topic but with no response.

    Again I sympathise with Anthony for spending all that money on a weaker, slower car, but I honest don't think any other supplier of car would be any different, Prodrive etc..

    Was they young Finn Hirvonen by any chance
    I will talk about this in my blog further down the line. You asked if they explained this to me. Answer is no. All the technical stuff was secret. You can bet I was not going to throw 2.5 mil to their faces per year if I knew my car was disadvantaged right from the start, and to that extent...
    http://wrcbehindthestages.blogspot.com

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,007
    Like
    14
    Liked 85 Times in 55 Posts
    I remember some tires issue.. When Garde retired on one rally only then you got works tires.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Barreis
    I remember some tires issue.. When Garde retired on one rally only then you got works tires.
    i don't remember exactly but it's possible I got some new compounds which were in limited numbers only for works drivers.
    http://wrcbehindthestages.blogspot.com

  6. #26
    MJW
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Doon
    Welcome Anthony,

    I hope you'll find this forum as useful as we'll find your knowledge!

    Guys I can sympathise with Anthony here, I've just read the 1st part of the blog, and what he says was different with the cars......not him making excuses for his pace. I think we all know that 'M2' or 'privateer' cars all have differences on the 'world' or 'factory' cars. I had a stint at M-Sport on trial (I was offered a permanent position but I didn't take the job as it wasn't as interesting and exciting as I though it would be), and from the time there many people told me about the way things work with the M2 car.

    I don't think anyone expects privateers to be quicker than works drivers, and Anthony was certainly driving in a more competetive era of the WRC, but sometime people don't realise how different the Works and Privateer cars are. According to FIA rules (so i've been led to believe on this forum) all ECUs are the same this year, so how are they different, weight? Think i've asked this question in another topic but with no response.

    Againce
    and people were wondering why Petter was going on about equality of cars, what he acheived with that 2001 model Xsara and C4, until middle part of 2010 was amazing. OK last part of the year the C4 was almost equal.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    216
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    What a pleasant surprise to see a past WRC driver here! And that you share your adventures...must have been awsome at times and painfull in others.
    One of my clearest memories was the 2003 New Zealand incident with Duval and Prevot...
    Welcome!

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Sladden
    What a pleasant surprise to see a past WRC driver here! And that you share your adventures...must have been awsome at times and painfull in others.
    One of my clearest memories was the 2003 New Zealand incident with Duval and Prevot...
    Welcome!
    Noted.
    I shall give my side of the story on this one in a future blog entry.
    http://wrcbehindthestages.blogspot.com

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    10,199
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Interesting reading, but nothing exactly new in the big picture, favoritism has been always in rally, Audi did favor some driver same did Lancia Ford did favor McRae according to Solberg Subaru did favor Burns.
    Good point was the advise to young drivers to stay in smaller classes long as possible to gain experience of the stages they use in WRC, its no point to burn money without to have some chance for reasonable result.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    950
    Like
    22
    Liked 126 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW
    and people were wondering why Petter was going on about equality of cars, what he acheived with that 2001 model Xsara and C4, until middle part of 2010 was amazing. OK last part of the year the C4 was almost equal.
    They 'privateer' cars have probably not been equal for a number of years.....I think we all know this. Why would a Team want their paying drivers beating the ones they have chosen for a full WRC assult!?

    My father worked for Marshalls East Africa in Kenya in the 70's, he was the workshop manager for the rally team for a while when they were building the Peugeot 504's for the Safari, and he reckons that all the cars were exactly the same, same parts, same time spent on each. He also ran a Mazda RX-2 in '74 in the Safari, and when all other Mazda's run from Japan were out, they help my old chaps car......it's just what manufacturers do and we have to accept, like Anthony say...it's never going to be an equal playing field!

    Anthony, did your old man ever rallying Africa? Maybe our old fella's crossed paths?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •