Page 15 of 67 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    Liked 149 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa
    Grüsst dir, Anothy.

A thousand thanks for your blog---always good to hear from somebody who talks or writes from real experience.
    And your latest about the brake master is an excellent thing just to that point...
    It contrasts so much with a long detailed interview I read 3-4 years ago in Race Car Engineering from I believe it was Christian Loriaux from his time at Prodrive.

In contrast to your words that it is you who is driving, he said in every way possible except straight out that the modern car "is too complicated for us to rely on the feedback from the driver" and that it is only "we engineers are the only ones who can fully understand what's going on and needs to be done"..
    It was the most amazing arrogance I had seen out of an engineer----and I have been around them first in moto-cross between 1969 and 1980, then in rally since '84.
    One thing that I see as a contrast between the simple machines I used---1 cylinder Husqvarna or KTM and your stories is how much I did myself--which was everything, eveen build the crank and mod and rebuild and re-valve the shocks down to mounting the tires and driving the truck from one end of Europe to the next for 5-6 events per month....It taught me one lesson your story of the master shows so well: problems are usually the simplest things first...
    and a lesson I try and tell all those who i help get started in rally: Trust the words of those whose job it is. Somebody builds motors for 30 years, they might know more than a 24 year old kid on a forum.
    Somebody build shocks, they probably know about shocks...

Oh and thanks for the last entry on Notes---in a couple of weeks I'm co-driving for one of my customer/friends again and we were discussing notes which is new for us...he did 2 short Regional rallys with Jemba notes and we had thought "oh we concentrate on the "not too obvious stuff" but your point was good: the co-driver needs to know where he is, too and he doesn't see everything"

Very good advice! Wish us luck! Volvo 240 flies again!

And I put link on our club oriented forum in North America http://www.rallyanarchy.com and everybody is saying Great link, good reading.

One personal question: have you ever considered just build a normal car maybe something for your GruppH just for fun?

I ask cause sometimes it seems nobody ever wants to have good fun after they stop at high level, no stepping back to simpler times..

Myself when I quit Internationale moto-cross, I knew I would get back to local things and after some university I did Enduros and that led to Regional rally...

So----how do you stay away if you had the disease? (rally is a disease for which there is no cure!)

Come on by Rallyanarchy.com and say hi!
    Thanks for your interest. Your little story about the interview, does not shock me at all, that's all I will say about that.
    As far as the need to do some driving. I have strong ties to Finland, believe it or not, so whenever I can I get up there and have a bit of fun with friends.
    I had a go on a RWD BMW some time ago...lot of fun.
    One day when I will have a garage, I think I will start a car-building project...

Again I want to thank everyone for the interest in my experiences. The encouragement is deeply appreciated. As you can see I have a lot of things to tell!! I will keep it up as long as there is something to write about.

Good night!
    http://wrcbehindthestages.blogspot.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    really good read nice to hearthe opinions of a Privateer. Keep up the good work Antony
    the question i would like to ask is if you still keep in contact with your co-driver Gemma now or any of the engineers you worked with?
    Not changing signature until J-M Latvala wins his first WRC Championship 6 Rallies Won so Far !

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antony Warmbold
    Thanks for your interest. Your little story about the interview, does not shock me at all, that's all I will say about that.
    As far as the need to do some driving. I have strong ties to Finland, believe it or not, so whenever I can I get up there and have a bit of fun with friends.
    I had a go on a RWD BMW some time ago...lot of fun.
    One day when I will have a garage, I think I will start a car-building project...

Again I want to thank everyone for the interest in my experiences. The encouragement is deeply appreciated. As you can see I have a lot of things to tell!! I will keep it up as long as there is something to write about.

Good night!
    Ah! Finland! And F-cup! I think I can say safely that I introduced America to the crazy guys in F-Cup and to some extent Swedish Grupp H and probably am the biggest advocate of something like that as a goal for us in USA and Canada to aim for in respect to format and especially participation.
    You really should drop in and say Hi at Rallyanarchy----we have one guy who has an on-line magazine who I know would love to interview you---bothe WRC and your experience in Finland...
    I have pointed out that there are some guys who could build anything they want for themselves, even former works drivers like some guy who borrowed your first name Toni, Toni whatshisname?? But he built an awfully nice BMW and as some of the boys here pointed out he was faster in the rwd car than in the works WRC Suzuki!
    Hej weist du was? want to come visit North West of USA sometime and do a small rally in our equivalent of F-cup?
    You could make a holiday, see some sights---beautiful nature here and in Canada just up the road---and do a fun event, and it would be a great kick im dem arsch for Amis to see just how fast a guy who knows what fast is can go in a basically good car!
    We have a small series called Max Attack, in honor of the great Marku Alen's famous phrase and it has a decent prize fund, and is generally aimed at normal humans who build and rally without massive budget..
    Come on over to rallyanarchy and say hi!
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
    Hi Antony, its interesting to read your blog, there is a lot to be learned from it, but in your last post on it I was surprised to see how you disregard the driving advice from engineers. I accept your point regarding the brakes but maybe you should have respected their views on how to drive the car more? Their feedback is based on overlays and watching what others have done in the same place. I would rate their feedback highly myself, perhaps more so than from a driver as driving can be such an instinctive thing that some top guys struggle to really explain what they do and why.

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Hi Antony,

Thank you

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nornbugger
    Hi Antony, its interesting to read your blog, there is a lot to be learned from it, but in your last post on it I was surprised to see how you disregard the driving advice from engineers. I accept your point regarding the brakes but maybe you should have respected their views on how to drive the car more? Their feedback is based on overlays and watching what others have done in the same place. I would rate their feedback highly myself, perhaps more so than from a driver as driving can be such an instinctive thing that some top guys struggle to really explain what they do and why.
    We had Pentti here before, very nice bloke and true professional. His point was that cars should be built for drivers, so they could feel comfortable with their driving, not vice versa. There is a lot that numbers don't tell, but drivers feel it - but you can not never read that feeling when you look at numbers or data only. Today most of the laptop engineers seem to think which is best for the drivers, but it should be vice versa - drivers should tell engineers, what is the best for them.

Quote Originally Posted by cali
    We had Pentti here before, very nice bloke and true professional. His point was that cars should be built for drivers, so they could feel comfortable with their driving, not vice versa. There is a lot that numbers don't tell, but drivers feel it - but you can not never read that feeling when you look at numbers or data only. Today most of the laptop engineers seem to think which is best for the drivers, but it should be vice versa - drivers should tell engineers, what is the best for them.
    I would have to agree with Pentti.

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antony Warmbold
    I would have to agree with Pentti.
    Yeah, me too

Quote Originally Posted by Nornbugger
    You are right.
    In the case I have described the point was to not blindly believe what others tell you and credit your own experiences also.

Chapter 7 is up.