Page 42 of 67 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antony Warmbold
    Hi Nigel, indeed I think it is a shame. I remember back in 03-05 sometimes we went to the press rooms of WRC events and there you could see how limited the press attendance was. The organisers were apparently obliged to provide huge press rooms with dozens of desks... that remained unused.

If you'd ask me to cite how many different reporters I had seen...Well lets see: France 3 press guys (autohebdo-echappement), Germany 2 (1 TV crew from RTL), Italy 1, Spain ?, Finland 1 TV crew, Britain 3 maybe 4, belgium 1 TV crew. The rest was photographers, maybe a dozen different ones who followed the Championship. I remember a couple from France, Japan, Czech Rep, Italy.

I am not sure why it's like that. Either it's too expensive to get accreditation, or denied because credentials are not good enough.

So most teams brought their own press guy and if you were private that was basically the only way your story was getting out.

Jean Todt would do well, in my opinion to open up the barb wired gate and let the press in. I don't think the sport is in a position where it can ignore potential extra coverage.

Think of the private drivers, for example. The more press the better for their sponsors.
    Yes, definately - in fact, all concerned should be encouraging more press coverage - not putting barriers up. Considering the number of newspapers each country has - the number of accredited journalists is pretty small. And that tells you the sport is 'small'.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Hi Nigel, indeed I think it is a shame. I remember back in 03-05 sometimes we went to the press rooms of WRC events and there you could see how limited the press attendance was. The organisers were apparently obliged to provide huge press rooms with dozens of desks... that remained unused.

If you'd ask me to cite how many different reporters I had seen...Well lets see: France 3 press guys (autohebdo-echappement), Germany 2 (1 TV crew from RTL), Italy 1, Spain ?, Finland 1 TV crew, Britain 3 maybe 4, belgium 1 TV crew. The rest was photographers, maybe a dozen different ones who followed the Championship. I remember a couple from France, Japan, Czech Rep, Italy.

I am not sure why it's like that. Either it's too expensive to get accreditation, or denied because credentials are not good enough.

So most teams brought their own press guy and if you were private that was basically the only way your story was getting out.

Jean Todt would do well, in my opinion to open up the barb wired gate and let the press in. I don't think the sport is in a position where it can ignore potential extra coverage.

Think of the private drivers, for example. The more press the better for their sponsors.
    Well speaking from experience your site had to lick some balls to get accreditation and as soon as you stopped with the ball licking, your accreditation was removed.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    I was only appearing on TV when I crashed, except a couple times when I got inside the top 5 and still then it was not sure.

You have to pay them if you want to be filmed for your sponsors.
    I got the TV accreditation for last years Rallye Deutschland and I remember that at the opening ceremony they literally had a list and the 2nd guy told the cameraman when to film. What gets shown on the TV is more the job of the "director" and editor.

I know that they ask a nice sum of money if you want to get 5 minutes of footage. If my memory serves me right, then it was somewhere around 1800 euros.

About getting the accredited for events. During the German round last year I saw quite many with media vests who weren't actually doing anything. More like hanging around and occasionally helping someone. Also I got the TV accreditation from North One Sport for my documentary. And I don't have anything to show because I'm still a student at the film and TV college.

I think it is a bit different for the writing press and photographers because they get their accreditation from FIA.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    Always nice on this thread.

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    I've gotten acredd 3 times I'll explain to you But yes, Australian media are not that interested in the WRC so much. One world agency I work with will have already one guy supplying on pay who travels to all rallies but based in Europe; another staffer locally plus possibly another member of staff, someone of a motorsport photog but not a rally guy (neither of them).

Japan's media conference room was a weird one a few years ago. Practically empty. Australian I cannot recall but NZ was the same as Japan...
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
    Where can we see the full documentary, Franky?
    Rally driver in the Norwegian Rally Championship.

Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennizw
    Where can we see the full documentary, Franky?
    It's not ready yet. Had some setbacks. The premiere is on the 11th July 2011. It will be a few days later on Vimeo. I'll post the link in the video thread over here. Next week I'll post the new trailer. If you or someone else has more questions, then PM me.

Now back to the topic.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky
    The WRC cameracrews actually have a list of people who they have to film. Once the last guy on the list passes, they are gone.
    True, and that's why it's nice to have more than just a few media on the ground. It seems that media have a tendency to shoot the same locations too, nothing more rewarding than shooting a unique location.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had assumed that the number of television and photography crews during that era were far greater than in attendance today. The rules in our country are constantly changing, and they favour those who shoot images suited to the mainstream media. Last year they included those that have motor sport customers, and then they changed back to the old rules this year. I really like photography that tells a story, not just a sharp shot that shows the sponsor off. Work by Greg Roslon http://www.gregroslon.com the Mcklein team comes to mind as some of the best. Simply shooting for a team here doesn't count for anything, the priority is on the exposure for the entire championship through television and printed press.

I believe the top competitors here paid for television coverage in the past, but I think that has changed this year. I remember seeing you during one of the Rally Australia rounds (TV coverage), until a turbo problem. Plenty of top competitors crashed during that round from memory.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Yes, definately - in fact, all concerned should be encouraging more press coverage - not putting barriers up. Considering the number of newspapers each country has - the number of accredited journalists is pretty small. And that tells you the sport is 'small'.
    exactly!