Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I'm not sure which is worse, http://www.ihatethemedia.com or the Daily Mail.
    Well, both are clearly favoured sources of anthonyvop, so make of that what you will.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    I think its worth noting to members not from the UK that we have an option to take out medical insurance and go private if we wish. The NHS is great and available to all, but if we wish to pay, we can.
    Honest question. If you choose to go with a private insurer, do you still have to pay taxes for the NHS? Are there direct taxes associated with the NHS, or is it payed for through things like VAT and the like? And can you choose, none of the above?
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you're working and living in the UK, the answer is, yes, you have to pay and, no, it's not optional. NHS is funded through income tax (tax paid on earnings) not Value Added Tax (VAT) which is basically sales tax.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck34
    Honest question. If you choose to go with a private insurer, do you still have to pay taxes for the NHS? Are there direct taxes associated with the NHS, or is it payed for through things like VAT and the like? And can you choose, none of the above?
    All British taxes are pooled regardless of the label on the tax with the exception of the TV licence. It is not possible to opt out of NHS cover which is just as well because there is little to no private coverage for entire healthcare sectors such as emergency care.

The private sector is heavily indirectly subsidised by the presence of the NHS so I would expect British premiums to be substantially lower than US premiums, but then we are not comparing like for like.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the quick replies mandsfoley and Dylan.
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I think the Euro model of choice is where North America will end up. America, which has a hodge podge of private plans, clearly is not going to be happy with "Obamacare" but I think many want better than the weak Medicare and Medicaid systems. Then in Canada, we have NO private option, which is equally as stupid, since the costs of it are a ticking time bomb that eventually will blow up in the budgets of all governments in charge of it. Will they ration, or admit we need a private option, much like in Britain and other nations?

In this one case, it is ironic, and sad, but you have to question why someone who seems to be from a well off family not have taken the private option? Believe me, I know if I I had a choice, I would want to exercise it......

AS for commenting on why she had 4 procedures post poned, we don't know and god knows the Daily Mail wouldn't figure it out. As much as people want to think of me as a knuckledragger right winger on this forum, even I know that paper is bird cage liner...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    In this one case, it is ironic, and sad, but you have to question why someone who seems to be from a well off family not have taken the private option? Believe me, I know if I I had a choice, I would want to exercise it......
    This attitude troubles me. I know people who could afford private healthcare treatment, yet choose not to take the option — just as , if I had children and had the money, I would never send them to other than a regular state school.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Probably because with more knowledge than most of what private and national healthcare in the UK really offer she couldn't see the point in paying extra.

If you really must have your own satellite TV and the latest wallpaper in your room when you're admitted for surgery private healthcare is a must. Private healthcare is also great for convenience if you have some minor niggle or a small non-urgent op that needs to be arranged.

If you're going to have anything that may escalate to become life threatening then you really want to be in an NHS hospital or at one of a few central London private hospitals. For many serious issues private insurance will merely bump you up the waiting list at the local NHS hospital as the private care providers won't have the facilities to treat you safely themselves. There is less staff cover at private hospitals and the quality of the junior staff is highly variable, not something you want if you 'go off' overnight at one.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    This attitude troubles me. I know people who could afford private healthcare treatment, yet choose not to take the option — just as , if I had children and had the money, I would never send them to other than a regular state school.
    Well it shouldn't trouble you. My point is that it is a choice. If you have the money, you can get the best you want in a field. Now in Britain, Dylan and others such as yourself contend it is the NHS, and maybe it is. Still, someone with the income would at least explore the option right?
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Indeed. Private care is good for non urgent non critical stuff. If you're talking life or death then the expertise is within the NHS.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums