Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Surtees

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    I was fortunate to see Big John in his prime, mostly in sports cars, I really admired him as a driver.I agree with Markabilly that Ferrari's best chance at another WDC title in the early 3 litre days, was lost when he let Surtees go. Sadly this was also true for Surtees's chances.
    He is one of a few greats to win with 3 different teams, there is no doubt he could drive anything, whatever number of wheels involved. I believe I read once that he admitted to spreading himself a bit thin, in attempting to run his own outfit. By that time, 1970, he had probably run out of competitive options.
    I have no understanding of the British honours system, but outside the country,they counts for very little.
    John Surtees was, and remains, a class act whatever awards come his way.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Capps
    I first began following Surtees when he was still racing bikes, even before he moved to the Italian bikes, in fact. We tend to forget just how big bike racing was during the Fifties in Europe, given that this was the primary mode of transportation for most young people, cars not being much of an option until someone was close to thirty.

Given the quite arbitrary, even capricious nature of the Honours system in Britain, this is really not worth worrying about. I am not going to waste time wringing my hands or fretting about it. Surtees is an extraordinary person and most of us recognize that. End of story.

Keep in mind that in the aftermath of the 1958 season, it was Moss who received either the OBE or MBE while neither Hawthorn nor Vandervell got even the equivalent of an MID (Mention in Dispatches) when the New Years Honours list was announced. Personally, this was a big lesson for me as a big Hawthorn fan at the time and probably helped add to my already rapidly developing sense of cynicism about various aspects of public life.
    Well, Hawthorn did get an invite to lunch with the Queen at Buckingham Place but obviously didn't deserve a medal as he was driving a red car.

I think the reason that John Surtees hasn't been knighted relates to the question "What did he do after racing?" A brief search turned up that he had a motorcycle dealership but nothing else. I think he also invested in property. But essentially nothing public since his racing days.

Sir Stirling and Sir Jackie have been ambassadors for the sport (aka pundits). Sir Frank was a very successful team owner while Sir Jackie was a somewhat successful one. Sir Malcolm and Sir Henry lived in a different age where the World Land Speed Record.
    was a major achievement. Since then we have been to the moon ...

I agree that Tony Vandervall deserved some recognition maybe an MBE or OBE rather than a knighthood.

D28,
    I don't know which country you are from. Many countries have a formal honours system - you do something meritorious so you get honoured for it. Certainly, France and Italy have formal systems. eg Mario Andretti and Michael Schumacher are both "Commendatores"
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    D28,
    I don't know which country you are from. Many countries have a formal honours system - you do something meritorious so you get honoured for it. Certainly, France and Italy have formal systems. eg Mario Andretti and Michael Schumacher are both "Commendatores"
    Mine does too, more like the OBE which Surtees has. What I really meant to emphasise was that his place in motorsport is secure whether he receives additional honours or not. On the face of it he deserves it, but as I said I have no idea how the palace decides on its knighthoods.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D28
    What I really meant to emphasise was that his place in motorsport is secure whether he receives additional honours or not.
    Absolutely. He's one of my favourite drivers having won on two wheels and four. He's also shown himself to be a true all-rounder and superbly capable outside the cockpit, improving Honda by personally getting Lola involved on their chassis development when they were in trouble and later going on to start his own team. He makes a mockery of comments like "I brought half a second a lap" that some modern drivers have been known to utter.

I don't think we'll ever see a guy that capable again, especially since drivers these days get little education (both academic and real life) outside their driving careers any more. I've chatted to him once or twice at Goodwood and he's still sharp and demonstrates that keen intellect in his insightful comments despite his age. He certainly didn't deserve the loss of his son but his dignity afterwards also spoke volumes about his character.

For me a knighthood would be nice but it wouldn't change my opinion of him at all if he didn't get it.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    It must be said, though, that there are those — Alan Jones being one — who look on their time in the Surtees team with less than fond memories.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    It must be said, though, that there are those — Alan Jones being one — who look on their time in the Surtees team with less than fond memories.
    I'm curious, do you have any more details?

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    In the United States, we have the much-abused "Presidential Medal of Freedom," there often being recipients whose deeds justifying such an award being puzzling at best -- the number of recipients in the entertainment industry is mind-boggling, or nonexistent at worst -- especially in the case of the political hacks who seem to always make up a part of each list, both political parties being quite guilty of this sort of nonsense. Hence, I have more than a bit of a cynical attitude regarding the award.

Truth in advertsing advisory: My "Aunt Katherine" recieved the award in 1982, but that was in large part due to the president at the time being a show biz person -- along with her having just survived a stroke that should have proved fatal and, sadly, left her literally speechless for the rest of her life.
    Popular memory is not history.... -- Gordon Wood

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan H
    It is a very long story which I am sure will be compressed somewhat...
    Popular memory is not history.... -- Gordon Wood

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan H
    In (very) short, for one thing, Jones and also Tim Schenken have both been extremely critical in interviews about how they would be called up to test for Surtees, then wait for hours on end while Surtees himself drove before getting a chance in the car, leaving no time to set it up to their liking. Schenken said in MotorSport that he finds it impossible to talk about Surtees 'without inviting a shoal of solicitors' letters', and described the man himself as 'absolutely impossible'; Jones remarked that the two most difficult team bosses he ever had were ex-World Champions, namely Surtees and Graham Hill, and recounted how Surtees once claimed that his chassis was 'too good' in that it was getting too much heat into the tyres, to which Jones says he retorted, 'Well, John, why don't you go and **** it up a little?' The view of both drivers was that Surtees would think it best if he did everything — all the set-up, all the testing — but that the team made little progress as a result. And, of course, Surtees F1 was perennially under-funded. The sums brought in by its sponsorship deals were peanuts compared with those of the larger teams.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    In (very) short, for one thing, Jones and also Tim Schenken have both been extremely critical in interviews about how they would be called up to test for Surtees, then wait for hours on end while Surtees himself drove before getting a chance in the car, leaving no time to set it up to their liking. Schenken said in MotorSport that he finds it impossible to talk about Surtees 'without inviting a shoal of solicitors' letters', and described the man himself as 'absolutely impossible'; Jones remarked that the two most difficult team bosses he ever had were ex-World Champions, namely Surtees and Graham Hill, and recounted how Surtees once claimed that his chassis was 'too good' in that it was getting too much heat into the tyres, to which Jones says he retorted, 'Well, John, why don't you go and **** it up a little?' The view of both drivers was that Surtees would think it best if he did everything — all the set-up, all the testing — but that the team made little progress as a result. And, of course, Surtees F1 was perennially under-funded. The sums brought in by its sponsorship deals were peanuts compared with those of the larger teams.
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of that side of him.